v8ford70

1970 Grande Coupe, Landau 2/3 Vinyl Roof installation info required

Would anyone have photos,diagrams or any suggestions on where I could try & get this information on how the Roof Trim molding (2/3 Landau Vinyl Roof) sits over the Vinyl edging across the roof. Showing if the vinyl is cut off infront of the roof pins or if it is cut off at edge of rear of trim ,also if the clips that hold the trim down sit on the roof itself or on top of the vinyl, Cheers Phil

Thanks Bob & Max Power,I need to put the roof trim across the roof top on because the two end cast pieces are held on by a nut on the underside of the roof ,so that once on I can then put the headliner in.I have got  a CD on 1970 Car shop manual Ford volumes 1 to V but there is no reference to the Landau Vinyl roof fitment. Just wondering if  any members might have a 1970 Mustang Parts & Body Illustrations CD or manual if they could see if there was any reference to the fitting of a 2/3 Landau Vinyl roof,or if there is any member that may have fitted one. Thanking you Regards Phil

I still require info on the fitting of a 2/3 Landau Vinyl roof top showing how the vinyl is cut near the across the roof  pins (rivets).There seams to be very few 1970 Grande Coupe with this type of Vinyl roof that have been restored.If someone has a photo of just the vinyl regardless of condition near one of the roof top rivets (with roof top trim missing) this would do.Cheers Phil

Still desperate on getting this info can anyone recommend who I might try. Thanking you Phil

Still covered in snow. Nature is not on your schedule....LOL!

The vinyl top is mostly weathered away, but fortunately, the headliner is out as well, so I can get some shots of any fasteners underneath if that is what you need.

I have the Parts & Body Illustration but not sure if it is 69 only or 69-70. I have printed it and gone through it multiple times but don't remember seeing anything about Landau. I didn't even realize they did this on 70 mustangs. I will check tonight.

Just found a pic...looks pretty cool. Makes the coupe look like a different car.

Worst case, go with Bob's comment about cut the vinyl so that it is under the chrome trim. I have never see any vinyl tops where the chrome trim didn't cover the edge of the vinyl.

I need to find out if the pins just poke thru the vinyl & the trim clip that clips on to the pin sits on top of the vinyl ,or is the vinyl cut away from the pin so the trim clip would then sit on the metal of the roof.A picture or photo of how the vinyl sits at one of the roof pins is all that I need.Thanking you Phil

I need to find out if the pins just poke thru the vinyl & the trim clip that clips on to the pin sits on top of the vinyl ,or is the vinyl cut away from the pin so the trim clip would then sit on the metal of the roof.A picture or photo of how the vinyl sits at one of the roof pins is all that I need.Thanking you Phil

If that would require me pulling the trim to see, I can't do that. I don't have any trim equipment, and this trim is rare and I don't want to damage it.

Max power I wouldn't want you to remove your trim,I thought someone might know if they had done one or new someone they could ask.For your info I have the part number for the plastic clips that hold the trim on I got 20 to keep some as spares, they are available at  info@dennis-carpenter.com   Cost for part number C7SZ-6540248-B, plastic molding clip, is $1.50 each. Shipping a quantity of 20 within the US is $9.99. I had so much trouble finding clips in Australia & US having bought 3 different sets none of which fitted properly.The last set while trying to fit the clips to the trim I damaged the edge of the trim .I managed to purchased off Ebay a set of new NOS trims which cost me $200.00 US & the seller managed to track down the part number on the clips for me & supplied them with the trim.I will attempt to repair my original trims & keep them as I know how difficult they are to find. The 2 cast ends are held on by an acorn nut inside & a self tapping screw on the outside.If you ever want to remove your trim be careful not to force the trim off as I have photos of a car with the rivets (Studs) ripped off leaving holes in the roof. Cheers Phil

Max Power I've put photos of my car on the  Project Progress Forum.Thanks for your Photo.I also need to find out if the Vinyl top goes down the outside of the drip rail as seen on my photo in Project Progress Forum & the drip rail chrome trim goes over it ,or is the vinyl cut on the inside of the drip rail & the drip rail chrome trim goes on top of the drip rail metal .Cheers Phil

New NOS Trim over roof installed today & new clips worked so no longer require installing info any more ,I will post photos of it on my Project Progress fo, but I still need to know how the vinyl is cut at the drip rail.if it goes down outside of drip rail & drip rail trim covers it or is it cut at top of drip rail. Anyone who has installed any vinyl roof may know the answer.Thanks to all.Cheers Phil

The vinyl wraps over the drip rail but the aftermarket vinyl is much thicker than the factory vinyl so it is nearly impossible to get the drip rail moldings on over the new vinyl . I had to grind down the top of the drip rail around 2 mm on one car to get the orig drip rail to fit.

On 4/1/2017 at 9:57 AM, barnett468 said:

The vinyl wraps over the drip rail but the aftermarket vinyl is much thicker than the factory vinyl so it is nearly impossible to get the drip rail moldings on over the new vinyl . I had to grind down the top of the drip rail around 2 mm on one car to get the orig drip rail to fit.

This is a good answer. I can still take photos of mine, but it is OE so it may not be relevant.

Thanks Barnett,I hope my Vinyl that came from CJ Pony is different to the one that you used,Max power I would still be keen to see your photos of the drip rail under the trim.Cheers Phil

2 hours ago, v8ford70 said:

Thanks Barnett,I hope my Vinyl that came from CJ Pony is different to the one that you used,Max power I would still be keen to see your photos of the drip rail under the trim.Cheers Phil

no, it will definitely not be . the thin vinyl is not reproduced and if it was available in nos it would probably cost around $100.00 a yard making it around a $400.00 top at the retail level.

The vinyl cuts just past the pins and is hidden under the trim molding,there is a V notch cut to clear each pin .the vinyl  on the earlier yeras ended inside the rain gutter and there was a strip of aluminum that pop riveted inside the chanel over the vinyl ,the chanel was then filled and smoothed out with silicone ,the same color as the top material .I would think the 69-70 would be the same .

I still had some top material left on my 70 it is very thick so there is no way the vinyl  wrapped over the gutter edge ,the molding would have never have gone on that way ,the gutter has already been cleaned out at one time and there is no  the pop rivet holes so i would bet it was just glued into the gutter and filled with silicone.20170407_093343.thumb.jpg.8567efc7fb3fb46b7e1e8971083949e3.jpg20170407_093238.thumb.jpg.eec467c0ae3855677c5c6964442786b5.jpg

20170407_093224.jpg

IIRC when I removed the drip rail trim on my 69 Coupe that was equipped from the factory with a full vinyl top that was removed by a PO the vinyl just went down into the top of the drip rail &  came up the inside edge & stopped before wrapping over the drip rail.