BillC

Where's the washer bottle?

I just noticed that I don't have a windshield washer bottle, squirters, or hoses installed on my 70 Mach 1 428CJ. It has the push button on the wiper switch. Is it possible the car came without it? Seems odd to not have one but it looks like nothing was ever disconnected. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

BillC

I know on my 69 it is on the left front fender apron close to the radiator.  Take a look for an electrical connector hanging from the harness in that area.  I am pretty sure they were standard equipment, but I have been wrong before.  Bruce 

OK....I found a connector coming out of the harness where you said, close to the radiator. It's an odd oval shaped connector that has two wires going into it. I imagine that's the washer pump connection.

Is there a reason people have disconnected and eliminated these things?

Thanks Dave and Bruce,

Bill

My car was mid-restoration when I bought it from a guy who had lost interest. My guess is the wiper reservoir and hoses were a victim of the PO's failed restoration. Luckily he didn't wreck the wiring. Any of the Mustang warehouses should have the hard plastic reservoir, pump, and hoses. Are the nozzles still installed? Dave R.

We live where it doesn't rain much and like the clean look :)

That could be why I don't have it. This car came from San Diego.

My car was mid-restoration when I bought it from a guy who had lost interest. My guess is the wiper reservoir and hoses were a victim of the PO's failed restoration. Luckily he didn't wreck the wiring. Any of the Mustang warehouses should have the hard plastic reservoir, pump, and hoses. Are the nozzles still installed? Dave R.

No. The nozzles are gone too. Another odd thing is the heater hoses have been disconnected too. No biggy, just a few more things to do during the winter.

People who raced there cars at various levels often ditched the weight of various items, although the washer bottle doesn't weigh much. I have thought about turning mine to a coolant overflow tank if I ever took it to the track.

That's the connector all right Bill.  now to buy the other parts and get it all put back on.  You are welcome dude.  Have fun.  I might be down that way next month for some diving off of the Lois Ann will let you know.  B.

That's the connector all right Bill.  now to buy the other parts and get it all put back on.  You are welcome dude.  Have fun.  I might be down that way next month for some diving off of the Lois Ann will let you know.  B.

Bruce,

I bought the car in San Diego but it's now in Maine at my summer home. If you ever make it to the east coast though, give me a call!

Will do Bill.  I saw San Diego and didn't red further (LOL).  Are there any good wrecks to dive on there?  B.

Oh yeah, with over 3500 miles of coast and frequent fog many ships have run aground. Near me, in Portland, most wrecks are in 20' to 50' of water. Mostly salvaged but hulls still intact. The problem here is poor visibility, strong currents, undertows, and the very cold water don't make for a fun dive. But a clam bake with lobster and a few beers is always a great way to end the day.

I read some people would get rid of the windshield washer system when cowl was leaking, to avoid getting washer water under the front carpets. Therefore, when buying an old Mustang, some take the absence of the washer nozzles and hoses as a potential sign of rusted through cowls.

That being said, I got my 69 like you, with everything gone. But the cowl was just fine and in really good shape. All I did was like the others said: got everything and installed it. Try and get stainless premium quality nozzles or they'll get rusty and ugly. Seeing it work after so many years without it was a blast! I kept using it just for fun and my wife thought I was nuts...

G

People who raced there cars at various levels often ditched the weight of various items, although the washer bottle doesn't weigh much. I have thought about turning mine to a coolant overflow tank if I ever took it to the track.

Be careful in re-connecting the heater core. Leaking, may be the reason it's disconnected. Good luck!

Be careful in re-connecting the heater core. Leaking, may be the reason it's disconnected. Good luck!

???

I guess. People rarely ditched heater cores to save weight, it was just too much work. But yeah, a disconnected HC is usually the sign of a leaker.

AC is the number one thing to get tossed, which is sad, because in my older age, AC is great!

Agreed. I love AC. Funny thing is this car is equipped with AC. It appears it's never been touched but in 47 years a lot could have happened. Anyway, while the dash is out this winter, I'll replace the heater core too.

Thanks for all the feedback.

BillC

Yes, a pressure test is a wise idea.  HOWEVER, you need a regulator to adjust how much pressure you apply to the core.  You don't want to apply full shop air pressure OR household water pressure to the core.  Keep pressure to less than 20psi would be my guess.  B.  

I tested mine in the car, along with the a/c. They both held pressure over the weekend. I decided to stick with the original rather than buying  replacements since my car has low miles and sat for years with motor pulled and hoses disconnected. When one does go, I will do both at the same time, along with the box that will most likely crumble in my hands.

BillC, I have bought and sold parts on this forum. So when you are looking for common parts like the washer items, put a notice in the Buy sell parts page.  Also look to see if someone is parting out a car, it happens often and they would probably have what you need.  These parts should be easy to get, you get them for lower cost, and you help someone else get rid of extra parts.