Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

Torque Boxes, Sub Frame Connectors and Jack Rail's

Well this is not really 69 specific so figured I would post this here to get some insight and ask some questions and see what everyone thinks.

I finished building one of the torque boxes last night for my 66 Coupe and had been kicking the idea around of building a set of Sub Frame connectors with the left over 3x3x.188 wall square tube I had left over from my Rotisserie build....They wouldn't sale me anything but a 20' stick of the stuff so I had a little over 12' remaining and don't really have a use for it so Why not put it to good use right?

Anyhow as you can see from the pics I got the Torque box welded up and its just sitting in the car, then I took the 3x3 square tubing and instead of doing the normal sub frame connector route and sliding the tube up inside of the frame rails, I cut the bottom out and it fit right over the old beat up rails..

As you can see I chopped the front down so that it ran all the way up and will tie together with the Torque box when its all done...

I will need to notch the connectors and bend them to get the alignment to meet up with the rear frame but I don't think I will have a problem with that.

Now here are a few questions.

1. once I get it all mocked up and get the metal all prepped will it be okay to weld the torque boxes and sub frame connectors in with the car on the Rotisserie?

I don't see why it would be a problem because the car is solid and the door opened and closed perfectly with it on the rotisserie before I took them off... The floor pans were replaced by the PO and are in good shape as well.

2. Jack Rails... I have only seen these things on the internet in 1 place and have not seen them in person on a mustang Ever... If no one has heard of these ill explain real fast... basically its a piece of 1x1 square tube that mounts over the pinch weld area between where the rockers and floor pans are welded together.

It seems like it might be a good idea, plus would help protect things... Anyhow I am planning to do a set of these and run triangulated stringers from the jack rails to the sub frame connectors.

Ya'll think this is something worth doing??

post-13203-0-55494100-1476287389.jpg

and another.

Oh the torque boxes are made from some 1/8" flat plate I had left over from another job LOL...

Figured the plate would be stronger and easier to weld than the thinner reproduction torque boxes, and would probably provide much more support

post-13203-0-58271200-1476287445.jpg

Heres the front area where the sub frame piece will tie into the torque box ... will need to bend the end piece down some, it warped a lil after the cutting process LOL.

As you can see I notched it around the floor support and its not all the way fitted down in place yet.

post-13203-0-28967100-1476287571.jpg

Last one here.

I will need to notch the connector and bend it in a few places to get the alignment with the rear frame correct so I can then attach it with a piece of 1/4" plate, as well as taper the end down.

thinking these connectors will add about 40-50 lbs to the car, but will add major reinforcement and I will be able to Rail slide on all the speed bumps I want without concern HaHa.

post-13203-0-65210700-1476287755.jpg

After the torque boxes, sub frame connectors, and Jack rails are done and all welded in, I will be doing some bracing from the firewall to the front subframe to help support things since the shock towers were removed.

My hope is to tie those braces in with the 6 or 8 pt cage I want to install that will also tie into the beefy sub frame connectors if all goes well LOL

I don't think it would be best to weld your subframe connectors in without the engine in it and the car sitting on its weight... at least that is what I've always heard you should do before welding subframe connectors in.  As for a jack plate, I don't think that is necessary... I think you could jack anywhere on the subframe connectors you're making and not have any problems.  In fact I think you could jack up on the torque box all day and it wouldn't hurt a thing.  Nice work by the way.  I like your idea so far.

david

Yeah was just looking at the Jack Rails because they tie the entire structure together.

The article I read on them said they are not really made for jacking cars up but they serve that purpose as well LOL.

They are supposed to be for reinforcement and bracing, altho I don't REALLY see what they are bracing LOL

Those sub frame connectors are way overkill.....but hey what the heck.

If it was me I think I would trim those to fit the contour of the floorpan. It will make a cleaner install and then stitch weld to the floor all the way down.

The only other way of it is more of a race car is to cut the floor pan to allow the rail to sit straight and then weld the pan to the rail to seal everything up

Because of the way you are adding in the frame connectors I think you are reducing/eliminating the need for the added bracing in front of the firewall. You are tying the back of the front rails into the body better which will get done what I think you want. Remember that you want the car to be able to have an area to bend in an accident or all the transferred forces go to the occupants

Bob

Yeah we did some chopping and bending and welding on the connector tonight.

The metal is thick enough to do the job even with the contoured sections i cut out, but i am going to box them for the hell of it LOL.

I Was debating on welding them to the floor pans but seems like that might be the correct thing to do now lol...May go as far as making a strip for each side like buckeye did to make them appear factory...Kinda haha.

Still need to get some 1/4" plate for the attachment at the rear torque boxes and frame tho.

I enjoy doing this kinda stuff.

Since my 69 is done i can take my time and build this thing to the max and do some stuff i didnt do on the 69 :-)

Oh yeah Rsanter I am doing the tubes in front of the firewall to connect it to the front part of the frame rails because I don't have any shock towers any more after the Mustang 2 swap, its just the cradle with the boxing plates and stuff so now all the load is transferred right into that area of the frame and I am concerned with it moving around because it wasn't designed to handle that kinda load.

Still need to get some 1/4" plate for the attachment at the rear torque boxes and frame tho.

I enjoy doing this kinda stuff.

Mike, if your sfc are .188 wall, and the torque boxes .120 wall, why are you going to use the 1/4" plate? I'd use .120 at the max. Just saying.

Well finally got the other side Torque box built and finished both sub frame connectors.

Decided to cut them down and contour to the floor pans but leave a gap between the connector and the floor pans so I could pass lines and what not between the 2 should the need arise.

Have them most of the way welded in but still need to add a plate at the rear and tie into the torque boxes so they aren't just welded to one side.

The angle makes it looks like one connector is almost straight, but its almost identical to the other one... Just a little more welding and it will be all buttoned up, then I can move on to the Deep Mini Tubs and get the 4 link installed, along with the rear end and the M2 Front suspension.

post-13203-0-90667900-1479766502.jpg

And yeah I welded them on with the car on the Rotisserie, but had it on its side and level and parallel to the floor..

I plan on taking it to a frame shop b4 I put it in paint and let them make any pulls that need to be made so if it is tweaked they shouldn't have a problem un-tweaking it and then I can line it all back up if it needs it and shoot some color on it, but that's a long way out

Yeah MAY be his first car LOL...Actually now I have to decide if he will be getting this lil thing or if he will get my 69FB...

Granted the 69 will be worth way more money than this 66 will ever be but I am kinda building this thing with all the goodies I wanted to put into my 69 HAHA... Im basically building this one to the best of MY ability in terms of all the cool gadgets...M2 Suspension, 4 Link out back, Mini-Tubs, Roll Cage, big ass fender flares etc... so its going to be WAY more fun to drive as a weekend car/street strip warrior but the 69 may serve as a better Daily for him to an extent LOL...

I grew up in the driver seat of a 68 Coupe in high School and somehow I didn't Die so I figured why not give him the same fun exp I had with a cool old mustang.