Raven R code

~ 1969 headlight harness/ engine compartment wiring

Looking to replace my engine compartment wiring. I know this is a past topic but wondering if there is any new input from members ( recent purchases)? The 2 that come to mind are painless and allied or alloy metal. I have also heard of problems and wonder what kind of problems to expect or look for.

Thanks,

Dave

Another, cheaper option, is to consider a refurbished headlight harness from Midlife Harness Restorations. http://midlifeharness.com

I heard he puts out a very nice product. In fact, he did mine. I sent him some real crap, which he turned into a work of art. I had several changes from stock which he completed flawlessly. I was kept appraised of the progress more often than I thought need be. I shouldn't say this, but I he could easily charge more for his work w/o complaints. Couldn't recommend him enough.

Randy.... I asked about doing a refurb....but I thought you recommended I buy new since the wire gets brittle from all the heat over the years. If you remember, you did my underdash harness earlier this year. Haven't installed yet as car is just about to get painted (Aquarius on the progress page).

If you go new, you cant go wrong with the Alloy Metal Harness. 

And don't forget, there's a difference in harnesses depending if your car is with or without tach. I believe even the alternator harness is different as well based on with or without tach.

If you go new, you cant go wrong with the Alloy Metal Harness. 

And don't forget, there's a difference in harnesses depending if your car is with or without tach. I believe even the alternator harness is different as well based on with or without tach.

Thanks for the info. You are correct that both harnesses are different between tech and no tach.

Is there a recommended place to buy alloy metal products?

Randy.... I asked about doing a refurb....but I thought you recommended I buy new since the wire gets brittle from all the heat over the years. If you remember, you did my underdash harness earlier this year. Haven't installed yet as car is just about to get painted (Aquarius on the progress page).

That is basically a true statement.  I simply suggested a cheaper alternative should that be a factor in deciding how to go. 

I refurbish many headlight harnesses over the years, and have seen a higher incidence of brittle insulation, but it is still less than 10% of the time.  When I see that, it usually means that I trash that harness and replace it with another one.