Sign in to follow this  
69MC

Mach 1 carpet inserts

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a project Mach1 with ribbed carpet inserts. Does anyone know if these are original or reproduction? I'm new to the forum so thanks in advance for any technical help I can get with the start of this project.

post-45575-0-24906100-1471665508.jpeg

post-45575-0-64125900-1471665525.jpeg

Those are original.  In 1969 the inserts were only availably in red.  In 1970 black inserts were also available.  Aftermarket now offers either red or black for 1969.  I went with black inserts for my 1969 Mach 1 but now wished I would have chosen red inserts for more originality.

Sure look OE.  Back side will have the C9 part number in black ink.  The inserts are actually sewn into place.  If at all possible maybe save and restore ?  The OE sound deadener should also be in place with C9 numbers as well.  Brian

Thanks for the response guys!  I wanted to replace with new carpeting, BUT all repo carpets from NPD, CJP, Kentucky Mustang, etc., do not have RIBBED inserts, and are smooth.  Does anyone know who would manufacture carpet with the ribbed inserts?  And would the smooth inserts available today be considered Concours correct?

Thanks again for the help!!

Well, since no one else will do it, I will. Welcome to the forum 69MC! Another San Diegan eh? Tell us a bit about yourself and your Mach 1 please if you don't mind.

Well, since no one else will do it, I will. Welcome to the forum 69MC! Another San Diegan eh? Tell us a bit about yourself and your Mach 1 please if you don't mind.

Thanks for the welcome Bob!  My name is Mike Chu and I'm originally from NY, born and raised, but moved out to San Diego 6 years ago.  I finally decided that I could devote time to restoring a Mustang and found one locally about a month ago.  She's a standard issue 1969 Mach 1 Auto, originally Champagne Gold/Black (painted Blue with a black vinyl roof at the moment) and she definitely needs work, but I'm enjoying the time spent on her.  Hoping to get my son involved in the restoration and surprising him when he graduates from HS.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone in the forum and maybe making a couple of local friends!    

I purchased my carpet from NPD.  It was almost 20 years ago, but it has ribbed inserts.  Other than being black, they look just like yours.

Thanks for the reply 1969_Mach1.  Does it have the Mass back?  If so, did you have trouble installing?

Pretty sure I got mine thru NPD, 7 years ago, Black w/Red sewn and ribbed inserts.  I am in PB.  Where are you ?  Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm in Rancho Bernardo/Poway area.  I actually purchased my Mach1 from a guy in PB...

Did you purchase your carpet with the Mass backing?  If so, was it hard to install?

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm in Rancho Bernardo/Poway area.  I actually purchased my Mach1 from a guy in PB...

Did you purchase your carpet with the Mass backing?  If so, was it hard to install?

Welcome Mike to the site and to the fun world of Mustangs.  I don't recall " mass backing ' but it did have the usual jute type backing.  I installed another sheet of alum-foil/padding under the carpet for sound and heat reasons.  You will want to investigate doing that.  My build sheet, Metuchen, was under the seat as well and yes they are fragile so be very careful not to rip/tear, lay flat, make copies and I keep mine in one of those clear document protecto dealies.   If you are good with your hands and are familiar with basic automotive what not you won't have any problem.  Brian.  

Hi Raven,

Thanks for the reply.  Did the Mass backing distort the fitting??

I'm a few months away from installing but looking at it, it would appear that there will be no issues with the added mass backing.

Post a picture when you can.....we always like to see what you are starting with. Welcome aboard!

First of all welcome to the forum 69MC. Lots of great info and help here.

I have a question for the members regarding those inserts as well. I purchased my 69 mach1 R code from a fellow who purchased it from the original owner. The carpet has the same small black insert on the drivers side as my 69 fastback has and no insert at all on the passenger side.

I lifted up the carpet and found my original build sheet embedded into the underlay of the carpet.

A fellow at a local show some time back advised me that my car should have the red inserts but it has the original carpet in it without those inserts. Is this common?

Thanks...John

First of all welcome to the forum 69MC. Lots of great info and help here.

I have a question for the members regarding those inserts as well. I purchased my 69 mach1 R code from a fellow who purchased it from the original owner. The carpet has the same small black insert on the drivers side as my 69 fastback has and no insert at all on the passenger side.

I lifted up the carpet and found my original build sheet embedded into the underlay of the carpet.

A fellow at a local show some time back advised me that my car should have the red inserts but it has the original carpet in it without those inserts. Is this common?

Thanks...John

Hi John,

Thanks for the welcome. Sounds like someone replaced the carpet but left the underlayment intact. My understanding is that all Mach 1 carpet had 4 red inserts specifically. I think that's awesome luck that it was still there!! Mike

Welcome Mike to the site and to the fun world of Mustangs.  I don't recall " mass backing ' but it did have the usual jute type backing.  I installed another sheet of alum-foil/padding under the carpet for sound and heat reasons.  You will want to investigate doing that.  My build sheet, Metuchen, was under the seat as well and yes they are fragile so be very careful not to rip/tear, lay flat, make copies and I keep mine in one of those clear document protecto dealies.   If you are good with your hands and are familiar with basic automotive what not you won't have any problem.  Brian.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the welcome. (This post may double up, as a responded earlier to your post but for some reason I didn't show up)

I am also considering alum-foul, so really glad you pointed that out.

Any recommendations in San Diego for: engine rebuild, tranny FMX rebuild and I'm also looking for a good body shop.

Thanks in advance, Mike

I'm a few months away from installing but looking at it, it would appear that there will be no issues with the added mass backing.

Post a picture when you can.....we always like to see what you are starting with. Welcome aboard!

Thanks Raven. What part of NY are you in??