Sign in to follow this  
Rcodenewf

Chrome shifter bezel installation 69

How do you fasten this piece in place? http://www.themustangshop.ca/product/302184/658537

Just installed a tremec tko 600 in to my 69 fastback. I still have the automatic console with the automatic insert.

I see that the above chrome bezel needs to be installed however there are no holes nor locations pins.

I have the 70 hurst boot installed and 538-4106 shifter. I know there's a difference in the automatic vs standard console insert in the slant of the opening I believe.

I may stand corrected on that one.

Thanks....John

you may need to remove the carpet backing for around 1" around the opening . put some liquid dish soap on the base of the boot . put the cover over the boot . put a screw driver between the fold in the last boot and the bezel ad carefully pry the fold up the the bezel . once part of the boot is thru the bezel you can grab it and pull up on it and work your way around the bezel.

I had this boot and ordered a new one (hurst) : this one is too rigid and the gears are popping out - after a search seems to not be the only one.

+10.  Mine did the same thing with a Hurst Competition plus shifter.  The boot and bezel fit perfectly but the boot is much too rigid.  I ended up installing a Hurst boot and making a bezel to fit the Hurst boot and use the existing 1/4-20 threaded holes in the trans tunnel.

That ring is when there is no console, the boot is suppose to be installed with just the proper 3-4sp console insert. Those repro boots are too stiff, mine will pop out of 5th occasionally.

Don't feel bad I ordered one of those rings also and it's a bear to get it under the boot.  It's helps as mentioned to trim the padding back.  The ring makes the boot even stiffer.  By not using the ring and using the proper console insert the popping out of 5th is much improved, the boot is still to stiff acts as a return spring to neutral! 

Ah...not used with a console. that makes sense.

Whats the difference in console inserts? I had jut purchased a new one for my automatic c4 and now i guess i'll sell it and get the std one.

..thanks for the responses guys.

....John

I had an automatic console insert in my 4-speed car for many years until they finally reproduced these about 10 years ago. Good clean 4-speed inserts were as rare as hens teeth back in the 80's / 90's, good clean A/T versions were much easier to find.

With the auto insert, the chrome trim ring fits and helps to finish off the opening, otherwise you would see the boot retaining screws. Until I got the correct repro, no one ever pointed out that my set up was wrong.

Doug

Hello stangs-R-me: Are you saying with your initial setup you had that chrome plate (chrome trim ring) put on yours with a console? larryc94 advises that the chrome bezel is not used with a console.

I'm still would like for someone to explain/illustrate what the difference is between the auto and standard console inserts.

John

Hello stangs-R-me: Are you saying with your initial setup you had that chrome plate (chrome trim ring) put on yours with a console? larryc94 advises that the chrome bezel is not used with a console.

I'm still would like for someone to explain/illustrate what the difference is between the auto and standard console inserts.

John

The M/T console insert as seen in above pics drops down slightly off-center towards the driver and comes pretty close to the boot flange on the floor (no room for the trim ring, nor would you see it). 

The A/T console insert has a centered and wider opening for the A/T shifter assy and does not go down as far as the M/T insert because the shifter housing is a lot taller than the M/T boot. 

So when using an A/T console insert on an M/T car, you will see carpet and the boot attaching screws unless you install the chrome trim ring on the boot which would look something like the pic below.   As I said, I had this set up in my car for many years and with the chrome boot bezel which looked finished and acceptable.   Without the chrome boot bezel, it was more obvious as it looked like something was missing. 

Doug

post-14006-0-00511900-1469401318.jpg