Sign in to follow this  
Caseyrhe

Factory ac

Custom auto air can tell you what you need. They suggested a new higher efficiency condenser,new hoses,new drier,change oil to 134 compatible for my mach 1. They believed my compressor would live with the higher head pressure of the 134 if it was in good condition. Give them a call,very helpful. With that being said,I'm gonna try to get mine recharged with the old type of refrigerant. Good luck!

you probably know this already, but a R12 system that is converted to R134 will never cool as well as the original R12 system. The problem is the evaporator is too small for a good R134 system. The evaporator was even too small for R12 systems, it was a poor design to begin with.   So if you just want it to get colder, you can maybe find out what is wrong with your R12 system.  There is a lot to be considered in making the switch, I know one advantage is the new compressors do not put as much load on the engine. There are other advantages for switching, but getting cold is not one of them.

Thanks for replying, not really what I wanted to hear, Texas gets mighty hot, maybe I'll just park the car during the summer

What? Are you nuts? I've been bakin in Bako many years now. Come on man, most of us older guy's parents lived and we grew up w/o a/c in our cars. We all seemed to have survived. Depending on how bad your system is just online and buy some R-12.

Have a factory ac car, all original components installed, cools to an extent. What all is involved switching system to R134

why do you want to switch to R134?

What do you mean by "cools to an extent"?

what is your goal?

You "should" install different seals and different oil in the compressor for 134?

there is not a huge difference in cooling between r12 and r134 in an r12 system but you have to use around 20% less r134 than you do r12.

you also need to put a vacuum on the system before installing the freon to make it more effective.

Come on man, most of us older guy's parents lived and we grew up w/o a/c in our cars. We all seemed to have survived.

Yes, and here is a photo of RPM and the family getting ready to take a leisurely Sunday afternoon drive through the countryside in his non air conditioned car.

Notice how his sister in law is admiring the luxurious, hand sewn door panels on his new car as she enters.

flivver-1921.jpg

All right, all right!!!! I'll pull up my big boy panties and weather the storm.

I'll get some R-12, charge her up, and keep rolling. I thought it might be fairly simple, knew it wasn't just as easy as

replacing some seals and hoses like a guy had told me.

All right, all right!!!! I'll pull up my big boy panties and weather the storm.

I'll get some R-12, charge her up, and keep rolling. I thought it might be fairly simple, knew it wasn't just as easy as

replacing some seals and hoses like a guy had told me.

changing the compressor oil isnt terribly hard.

Yes, and here is a photo of RPM and the family getting ready to take a leisurely Sunday afternoon drive through the countryside in his non air conditioned car.

Notice how his sister in law is admiring the luxurious, hand sewn door panels on his new car as she enters.

flivver-1921.jpg

And this was his test drive after finally getting his tach to work correctly.  I like the low profile tires and wheels!

And this was his test drive after finally getting his tach to work correctly. 

And he then watched it with great excitement as his sporty new cars powerful 4 cylinder engine sped rapidly [not] towards its peak neck snapping rpm of...1657.

I like the low profile tires and wheels!

Yes, those are the optional, high performance, B speed rated, 30 series, Gator Grip, all white "Ultra Spats 174.gif" tires mounted on the new, high performance Super Spoke wheels made from 100% Prarie Pine with optional hand polish black lacquer finish!

Can find R12 or even purchase R12????  If so, get some extra, fix any issues, evacuate for 30 minutes minimum (very critical operation), and recharge it with the R12.  From my experience converting an R12 system to R134 doesn't work as well as one would like.  It doesn't cool quite as well primarily because R12 evaporators and condensers are not efficient enough for R134, R12 compressors typically don't last very long due to the higher operating pressures of R134, and since the R134 molecules are much smaller than R12 molecules, small leaks are more common.

If you cannot find R12, look into a kit designed to work with R134 from somebody like Custom Auto Air.

When I get my 69 back from paint, I'll start looking then, usually see a few can at local swap meets. Until then, I'll go to Walmart and get me a hat with dual can holders with crazy straws, and maybe rig me up a kool suit out of a rain suit, yeti cooler, 12 volt fan, and some old vacuum cleaner hose. Yee Yee