Black Jade

Product and Steering Box Rebuild Endorsement

Just installed a RetroSound Quad 4 amp. I connected it to a RetroSound Malibu radio. Had to get creative on where to put the amp, I ended up making brackets and put it behind the passenger side dash panel just above the A/C unit. The unit is fantastic, really brought radio to life. I put Tweeters in the old dash speaker frame, and have 4 x 6 speakers in the kick panel / vents with 6 x 9.in the trap door (previously cut before I got it). Also a hats off to Dan at Chocko Stang on the box rebuild, he did an excellent job and much less than a aftermarket replacement. About a 5 day turnaround.

Wanted to readup on steering box rebuild, and found this thread.  Amazingly, I am interested in both topics.

On the steering box rebuild, how much was it to ship that muther to chockostang?  Had to be like $30-$40 or something?

I'm planning to buy a rebuild kit, and step thru it myself.  (one of my biggest problems is "I ain't afraid")

Now, on the speakers.  I also put in a malibu, and plan for speakers in the front kick panels.  I am curious if you have any advice on how to install, or any suggestions for how to close it out?  I've got this stupid dream of building a bracket that holds the speaker up just a fraction, still fits in the vent, and has some annular regions around it where the air can pass thru.  Might not even be possible, but I'm looking into it.

A word of caution on rebuilt steering boxes.  Only new bearings and seals are available.  As best I know, all other hard parts on not reproduced.  The worm shafts are usually ruined because the worm shaft ball bearings ride directly on the worm shaft.  The bearings are harder material than the worm shaft and after 46+ years put dimples in the worm shaft.  The sector shaft gear and worm nut also wear out but not as often as the worm shaft.

If you are paying somebody to rebuild your steering box (which in my opinion is not needed because these steering boxes are incredibly simple),  I'd ask what they do when hard parts other than bearings or seals are needed since no other parts are available new.

I don't know, it's usually just a sore subject with me when I hear of somebody providing a rebuild service for these steering boxes.  I think they should disclose what can and cannot be done when rebuilding these steering boxes.  At least the customer would better understand what they are paying for. 

I did my Box myself and it came out great.

I got my rebuild kit from stangersite.

He actually said if the shaft is worn that you just have to find a good used part to replace it and that is what he does with all of his rebuild.. Mine was in good shape so I was good to go

As 1969_Mach 1 implied, they are NOT fully "rebuilt".

The only way to PROPERLY rebuild them is to have the gear hard welded then recut which is possible but it costs money.

Simply changing the bearings is similar to changing the bearings on a worn crankshaft buy not getting it reground or putting new rings on a worn engine but not getting it bored with new pistons also etc . Any "builder" that tells you otherwise is wrong, it's that simple.

yeah he did mention something about reWelding and recutting, but man that sounds like such a lot of work when you could just get a good used piece and toss it in there LOL.. But yeah I suppose you can say that no steering box is 100% rebuilt with all new parts all brought to Factory like new standard... They are going to have to Re-use some of your old stuff LOL.