Sign in to follow this  
1969-Mustang

302 To 69 F350 390

Okay So To Start Off, I Own a 1969 Ford Mustang and I've been really interested in the 390 idea for a while and I found one for $300 but I wanna know, obviously HP AND torque is a huge difference but what can I do to make a F350 390 Into a Mustang 390 HP, strength, and durability, also the ad claims it's a 360/390 what's the difference, don't they share the same block

They do share the same block.  I think the crank is really the only major difference.  Note that there were a lot of 360's made so you should be able to pick them up pretty cheap.  Are you looking to make a stroker out of it?  What is your budget?  

david

360/390 do share the same blocks, the difference is the stroke.

For an easy check, bring one of the pistons all the way down, stick a pencil or stick through the spark plug hole until it bottoms out, crank the block until that piston is at the top, then measure the stick in inches to see how much travel there was.

Things to consider when doing Windsor to FE swaps......

• Your shock towers are not reinforced. From they factory, they were for big block applications. There is no affordable way to do this. Not a deal killer, but now you know.
  •  
  • You will need new factory mounts.
  •  
  • You will need new springs to cope with the new weight.
  •  
  • There are some clearance issues with FEs, especially if you run headers.
  •  
  • If you decide you want to run an overdrive at any point, it is more expensive and harder with an FE. Also, your existing trans wont bolt up.
  •  
  • If you want 390hp out of a 390, you will have to spend real money to get there. FE performance parts are not cheap.
  •  
  • 360s are turds, don't waste your time.

OK, I am a fan of FE motors, especially in Mustangs, but with the hassles in fit, swapping and building the engine to the power levels I want, I would not go the 390 route. Bare minimum I would go 428, or stroke it and make it even bigger. The reason being, to make the hassles of the swap worth it, I don't want to spend the time and effort and money to just have a heavier engine that puts out the same HP as a reasonably built 351w. If you want reliable and torquey 390hp at an affordable price, a 351w swap would be the way to go. That may not be your only reason for the swap, you may want whatever cool factor derived from have an FE as the most important part of the swap. But remember, there was a reason Ford panicked and slid the 428 into Mustangs mid-68, and it was because the 390 is a truck and station wagon motor, a boat anchor to most performance enthusiasts. If I were swapping an FE into mine, I wouldn't do it on the cheap. A junkyard 360-390 is on the cheap, and will be a lot of work for little return.

One guy's opinion, worth what you paid for it.....LOL!

Having a 390 car, and having to deal with all the issues, I 100% agree with Max Power.  You will have less issues, more parts options, and equal if not more power than a 390, by going with a 351W based motor, possibly even stroker.  I blew a head gasket a couple of years ago and it was not that much more to go with my current set up.  I am now running a very mild 445 stoker, with a smaller cam, stock alum heads, and barely getting to 400RWHP.  There is more there possible, but I wasn't after highest HP. 

I would have gone 351W stoker, but wanted to stay true to my S code, and man has it tested me over the years. 

I agree with the above.

I have a 351 Cleveland, it's cost me a ton of money thus far. If I were to do it again it would be a stroked 351 Windsor, cheap to build, more options and tons of power.

I had a 1967 390 in a 1973 F250 Highboy with a 4 speed granny & 4:11 rear. I spent too much on the motor and still was not happy.

Also, my 2 cents.............

No way I would convert to a 390 unless the car originally had one or unless I was building a specific clone that needed one.

I would run a either a stroker 351w or for a different cool factor you could build a stroker 351 clevor motor or even a stroker 351c engine using the 3V aluminum heads

Bob

Actually I have a budget of 7k, but half of it is going towards a front independent suspension from Detroit speed since I know a few guys so there gonna help me and give me a bit of wiggle room with the price so I'll maybe have 2500 to play with

you need both the casting number and the casting date to help determine exactly what it is . . there are thin wall and thick wall 390 castings . . the thick wall ones are the same thickness as 428 engines so they are the best.

you can stroke a 390 to big cubes and get stupid hp from them if you have the money.

if you want to rev it high, build a 390 ci, if youwant monster bottom end power, put a stroker kit in it.

You can take the 302 you have out to 347 or you can step up to a 351 and take it to 408 as an easy way to make the power/torque that I think you are wanting

You will have less weight on the front so the car will handle better and the install will be easier

Bob

One item I didn't see in this thread is FE motors came with two different exhaust manifold to cylinder head bolt patterns.  Top and bottom vertical pattern at each port and a dual pattern of top and bottom and diagonal at each port.  I believe it depended on the vehicle it was installed in.  I have only seen a few FE motors.  But in trucks it has been a top and bottom vertical pattern and in Mustangs it has been the dual pattern with the diagonal being utilized.  So, from what I have seen, cylinder heads from a truck FE motor will probably not work in a Mustang.  Maybe somebody has more information on this.

I have always liked FE motors even though the 390 has a reputation of not making a ton of power.  But, for this car a 351W or stroked 351W would be the best option.  I wouldn't spend money on building the 302.

One item I didn't see in this thread is FE motors came with two different exhaust manifold to cylinder head bolt patterns.  Top and bottom vertical pattern at each port and a dual pattern of top and bottom and diagonal at each port.  I believe it depended on the vehicle it was installed in.  I have only seen a few FE motors.  But in trucks it has been a top and bottom vertical pattern and in Mustangs it has been the dual pattern with the diagonal being utilized.  So, from what I have seen, cylinder heads from a truck FE motor will probably not work in a Mustang.  Maybe somebody has more information on this.

I have always liked FE motors even though the 390 has a reputation of not making a ton of power.  But, for this car a 351W or stroked 351W would be the best option.  I wouldn't spend money on building the 302.

It's true, there were two different bolt patterns, but most people building them are buying aftermarket heads anyway.

I have had a S code, and unless it was original, I would not go with the 390.    My 1970 will have a 393 stroker.  Easy 400 HP, lots of go fast parts, and easy to find drivetrain combinations that work.