Sign in to follow this  
ray1970

Ray hear how did your FI intall go? andTuning

Thanks for the heads up on that Ray.  Having you aboard beats a lot of the guess work. I'm more of a picture learner then reading every word.

FiTech just got back to me regarding my Mallory Unilite Dist and their Timing Control. 

Here's the reply:

John, the distributor will not work for timing control, you would need an magnetic pickup like an msd 2 wire pro billet or equivalent.

What do you think an equivalent would be?

If MSD, do I need the control box?

prayers1 , here are a couple of screen shots of the fuel table, main setup and learned fuel table . u will see something different with   the fitech efi.   but it still will have a learned value. 

what i meant by the lock the ipw ( injector pulse width) .  10 inches of vacuum , the idle cell is normally would use the fuel table but the  injector pulse width is to high , with the low vacuum  it about 70 kpa . its highlighted in the fuel table. so i set the ipw to 2200 -7% of fuel to get me to a 14:1 afr at idle.

the fitech efi  you will not be able to mess with the fuel table  . the  fuel table is all preset with  your inputs. its a starting point then the system start to learn. it will either add or subtract fuel.

i would like to see what ray has because Bryce at fitech ( used to work at professional products) told me theirs no laptop tuning yet?

pj3 ecu uses a 2 wire distributor 

boss efi i was using a ford tfi distributor.

post-4349-0-83932800-1451356259.jpg

My cam makes about 10" of vacuum. System works great set on #3 cam setting. You need any two wire magnetic pickup dizzy for the timimg function. You can use it with or without a cdi box. If using boost or nitrous, they recommend a box.

The summit branded dizzy's are made by MSD. However, my first one had a bad module, second one was fine.

My 8 injector system has the pro tuning capability, I haven't used it yet. Every thing works fantastically with the self learning function so I haven't messed with it.

I love this system, it keeps my idle afr right at 14.3-14.5 even with a lumpy cam.

fordguy6 - What motor and Dist do you have?

I have a 460 big block.  I have used both the MSD all in one without using the timing function in the FITech and the summit branded two wire magnetic pickup dizzy when using the FITech timing function.  The 460 dizzy's are the same as 351C dizzy's.  I have a solid roller cam so I have used the MSD steel melonized gear and the summit steel melonized gear.  They both seem to work fine with the roller cam gear, but I modified my block to spray oil directly on the gear mesh area.  I don't like the idea of the bronze gears.  There is a company now making composite gears for the 460/351C, so I will probably switch to that the next time I have the dizzy out.

fordguy69- Thanks for the reply.

FiTech said that I can't use my current Mallory Unilite, so I need a replacement.  They said to get something like a MSD 2 wire pro billet.

So, I looked at the MSD Pro Billet 8360 ready to run. Do you think this one will work. Not sure on what FiTech means about lock out, but this dist has a Vac Advance lock-out kit, wonder if that's what their talking about.  FiTech also mentioned a magnetic pickup, don't know what that means either.

Bottom line is that I want the TBI to control timing.

fordguy69- Thanks for the reply.

FiTech said that I can't use my current Mallory Unilite, so I need a replacement.  They said to get something like a MSD 2 wire pro billet.

So, I looked at the MSD Pro Billet 8360 ready to run. Do you think this one will work. Not sure on what FiTech means about lock out, but this dist has a Vac Advance lock-out kit, wonder if that's what their talking about.  FiTech also mentioned a magnetic pickup, don't know what that means either.

Bottom line is that I want the TBI to control timing.

Prayers, I think you have a Clevo right?

You need one of these.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850071-1/overview/make/ford

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8580/overview/make/ford

Just make sure you get the right gear to match your cam!  Iron for a flat tappet cam or the melonized steel for a roller cam.

They both are magnetic pickup (that's the style of triggering device in the dizzy) and both can be locked out meaning that any advance mechanism in the distributor is completely locked out and doesn't move. That's because the FITech unit does all of the spark advance/retard function not the dizzy. Your distributor becomes nothing more than a crank trigger.

Also, get one of these  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-84211. You need the adjustable rotor to properly phase in the rotor.  The FITech installation manuals cover all this. 

Hope this helps!

fordguy69- Your a mountain of wealth! Thanks for taking the time to find those parts and there are much cheaper.

Sorry to say, I have an iron 357, wish I did the stroked.

Do you still think those Dist's you pick will still be OK to use?

Please keep us update on any further FiTech Installs pros & cons.

I have been following most of these fuel injection threads.  One thing I haven't yet understood is, how does the FITech system control ignition timing when no body has mentioned needing a distributor with both the mechanical and vacuum advance locked out?  Or was that mentioned and I simply missed it?

I have been following most of these fuel injection threads. One thing I haven't yet understood is, how does the FITech system control ignition timing when no body has mentioned needing a distributor with both the mechanical and vacuum advance locked out? Or was that mentioned and I simply missed it?

I mentioned it three posts above.

fordguy69- Your a mountain of wealth! Thanks for taking the time to find those parts and there are much cheaper.

Sorry to say, I have an iron 357, wish I did the stroked.

Do you still think those Dist's you pick will still be OK to use?

Please keep us update on any further FiTech Installs pros & cons.

As long as you have a Cleveland those dizzys will work. If you have a Windsor, they won't. Just make sure you match the dizzy gear to your camshaft style!

Ok Thanks.

Out of the 2 Dist's you picked, it looks like the Summit one is the smaller diameter???? 

I have the Blue Thunder intake and the runner runs very close to the dist.

I was reading some of the Summits Dist reviews and one n particular mentioned:

"Honestly, this is nearly identical copy of the much more expensive MSD distributor. The only thing stopping me from a five star is the fit of the drive gear. I had to take it off to lock out the timing. On a Ford distributor, the gear is supposed to have a slight interference fit on the shaft. It should need to be pressed on and off. This gear didn't have the interference fit, it easily came on and off with hand pressure. Not sure if that is an issue or not. I guess I will find out. I am concerned it may be too much pressure on the roll pin without the interference fit."

What are your thoughts about that?

Ray lives in up state NY and the weather has prohibited him from working on his car.  I'm sure he'll tinker with now and then, then report back to us.

He did mention that if anyone else has obtained a FiTech TBI, to post their result as well so that we all can benefit.

In all fairness I found myself promoting a product that would not stand behind a part of there product.

Im not going into detail....Give me some time....   

That would make sense.  I guess you went through and deleted your previous posts.