Sign in to follow this  
Mark44

What headers for 302 LHD with P/S/ Help

Hi All,

First post, bought a complete used exhuast system off Ebay, headers inc, and basically installing it has been the most frustrating experience of my life, seller said it would fit but nothing did, Had to bash one header tube to half size to clear the steering gear, and the left hand exhuast goes straight into the brake line/diff breather at the rear. Can anyone help with a set of headers that that will fit a 69 stang, 302 with power steering? And do you have to modify the rear brake lines for a dual exhaust? Any help would be much appreciated!

I used stainless steel tri-Y headers and they fit great.

In the past I have modified the headers to work with the power steering so I don't have to use the drop bracket as I hate those things.

Modifying tri-Ys are easy when you have an automatic

For exhaust system fit, I build my own so it fit perfectly and had no problems with the single exhaust brake line

Bob

This is an interesting topic, they didn't have different brake lines for single or dual exhaust (to the best of my knowledge). I know '69 used the transverse muffler and '70 didn't. I will be putting dual exhaust on my '70 with a 302 this winter, this was a problem I didn't anticipate. I'm sure lots of people have put dual exhaust on small block cars. Please keep us posted on your progress. 

Matt

I attached a couple pics I found online. The 1st is supposed to be a '70 Mustang, the lines are very close but clear. The 2nd pic is supposed to be a '66 Mustang with aftermarket exhaust, same thing. Can the rear left pipe be rotated at all to get the needed clearance?  

Matt

post-42483-0-41573500-1450286116.jpg

post-42483-0-43226200-1450286135.jpg

The 66 for sure has a different brake hose and even mounting spot to the body between single and dual exhaust. I know that for sure as I have one

For the 69-70 I was not for sure. I do know they have different rear brake hoses for 8" and 9" cars

Bob

Yeh Hedman headers do seem to make a large range of specialy fit headers, but there one for the mustangs still require modifications...according to fella online who just installed them his identical stang..my biggest fear is that rear left exhuast making contact with the brake line and severing it which has happened to me before and I can say without a doubt was the scariest experience of my life..

I didn't use the drop brake as I found out they existed a little late...then still not sure i'd be up to installing somthing like that.

Being in australia really limits the range of headers I have acess to without paying three time the price of the actual headers in postage from the states,

My plan is to try to bend the H-pipe at the rear closer together, to get at least half a inch or so away from the brake lines then flex out the suspension see how it goes, maybe even weld a brace on the pipes to hold them together it needed, will keep you posted

I have a 70 302 & C4

My full length Hedman headers hit the steering ram, and I don't want to use the drop bracket either.

I went Hedman shorties and had the local exhaust shop build a 2 1/4 dual system with x pipe.

Works great.

Yeh Hedman headers do seem to make a large range of specialy fit headers, but there one for the mustangs still require modifications...according to fella online who just installed them his identical stang..my biggest fear is that rear left exhuast making contact with the brake line and severing it which has happened to me before and I can say without a doubt was the scariest experience of my life..

please post a link to that thread . . the shorties have never hit, so if they hit that guys car, either they changed them or something is wrong with that guys car.

also, the long ones didn't hit bluebloods car.

if you are rich, buy the fpa or jba headers.

please post a link to that thread . . the shorties have never hit, so if they hit that guys car, either they changed them or something is wrong with that guys car.

also, the long ones didn't hit bluebloods car.

if you are rich, buy the fpa or jba headers.

*in the comments

Weren't shorties,they were long tubes that hit the same place as mine...would love some FPA headers but would cost x3 the price to get them here, I will persevere with the crap I bought lol

I have own many 69-70 Mustangs and Cougars, all had dual exhaust and the brake lines were never an issue. I use Hedmann Elite shorties. They work fine. I had to get the hammer out as the #1 cylinder pipe hit the head bolt (!), but it was the first set they ever released, so I am sure they have sorted it.

The rear brake line does come close to the exhaust on my 69 302 with the JBA system.  I tried to rotate the pipe but just wasn't able to get a satisfactory amount of clearance no matter what I did.  The exhaust can move some due to the rubber hangers... so I ended up using a piece of 14 gauge copper wire to wrap around the brake line.  Then I attached that to the frame to prevent the line from touching the exhaust only in the area where it was close.  Note that the brake line does need to be able to move some since the differential moves up and down.

david