Sign in to follow this  
Footcutter11

New ford 9inch

Not an expert, you need to spin it again or use a little less marking compound. From my perspective looks like it needs to be a little closer to the toe (inside of gear) check both drive and coast. Coast should be centered.

Edit to check coast spin the ring gear, and the pinion for drive.

Not an expert, you need to spin it again or use a little less marking compound. From my perspective looks like it needs to be a little closer to the toe (inside of gear) check both drive and coast. Coast should be centered.

Edit to check coast spin the ring gear, and the pinion for drive.

Roger that.  Thanks!

+1 with Rsmach.  I wedge a block of wood between the ring gear and the case when I rotate the pinion gear to check the contact pattern.  When the pattern is correct both the drive and coast side will be very close to centered on the tooth.  When the contact pattern is off the patterns will be opposite between the drive and coast side.  I.E. towards heel on the drive side and towards the toe on the coast side, or visa versa. 

+1 with Rsmach.  I wedge a block of wood between the ring gear and the case when I rotate the pinion gear to check the contact pattern.  When the pattern is correct both the drive and coast side will be very close to centered on the tooth.  When the contact pattern is off the patterns will be opposite between the drive and coast side.  I.E. towards heel on the drive side and towards the toe on the coast side, or visa versa. 

Thanks!  Worked great.  Now centered on both.

How did u set the carrier bearing preload / case spread?

Guy who did my rear end said run the spanner nuts down on the side without ring gear till it stops then on the ring gear side do same thing but once it stops put the spanner wrench on it and go 4 hokes and it will be dead nuts on 99% of the time.

Think I got that right

Guy who did my rear end said run the spanner nuts down on the side without ring gear till it stops then on the ring gear side do same thing but once it stops put the spanner wrench on it and go 4 hokes and it will be dead nuts on 99% of the time.

Think I got that right

That's what I did.

Looking at the pic's on my phone it looks like the pinion might be to deep (half moon pattern). What do you have your back lash set at ? Also it's advisable to check the ring gear in at least 3 different places ( helps to make sure every thing is true)  JMHO

Think I got that right

You set the carrier bearing preload by measuring the rotating torque at the pinion nut with an in-lbs torque meter (not torque wrench).  You first measure and set the rotating torque of the pinion bearing preload without the pinion seal installed.  Then measure the rotating torque of the entire assembly (still without the pinion seal installed).  I don't recall the exact specs for new and used bearings.  I guess if you have done a lot of them the method the guy who did yours would work.  Sounds like a short cut and a little sketchy for my liking.  I've heard of measuring case spread to set the carrier bearing preload but have never seen anybody do that.