Topless69GT

351W lifter clatter issue

I finished my car this spring (well you are never really finished) and I have been working bugs out of the car and I am nearly there. The only issue I have left to tackle is the lifter noise on my 351W. The engine was totally rebuilt and I thought the noise (clattering) was timing related but it is not. I get it when ever I push on the gas. The car seems to run fine but I am growing tired of the noise. It is not a major amount of lifter noise but enough to irritate me. I have had many 289, 302 and 351's and never had one with lifter noise after rebuild.

That is weird usually lifter noise is more noticeable at idle. Are you getting any noise at idle? Oil pressure good? Have you put a higher lift cam and possibly a rocker hitting valve cover? Does it seem like just one lifter or several?

Dave

Yea I'm with Wycked69, sounds like detonation, what's the static compression ratio, what's your timing set at (initial, total, when does total come in, and how much vacuum advance). Did you calculate your DCR? (Dynamic compression ratio) What cam are you using? Most importantly, DON'T DRIVE THE CAR, if this is detonation, you will destroy your engine in no time.

Edit, if you list the details of your engine it will greatly help.

if it is in fact the lifters and asjusting them to the notmal amount doesnt help, try asjusting them to only 1/3rd turn in from 0 lash . . if they still tick, just buy new ones as long as they aren ot made by comp cams . . if they arew non roller hydraulics, i would buy cranes, if threy are rollers, i would buy morel p/n 5323.

Detonation or a small exhaust leak at only one exhaust port?  I have also had this noise come from a slightly loose spark plug and from a poor fitting spark plug wire on a spark plug.  Lastly, I have had a small lifter sounding noise on acceleration only coming up through the intake manifold.  That one was strange and I thought I had a major problem, but it stopped after richening the air fuel mixture.