Sign in to follow this  
po51

Door Hinges

So I need to replace the door hinges on the Mach1, lots of slop in them. Are the repo hinges any good? I was wonderinf if their is anyone who rebuilds door hinges, my thinking is that original would be best.

I highly recommend rebuilding the originals.  The kits offered by Mustang Steve is of excellent quality and makes the hinges bulletproof and as smooth as any modern hinge could ever hope to be.  Here is a blog entry I did on the rebuild of my stock 70 hinges on my Boss 302.

http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2014/12/painting-trunk-rebuilding-door-hinges.html

Hope this helps!

I highly recommend rebuilding the originals.  The kits offered by Mustang Steve is of excellent quality and makes the hinges bulletproof and as smooth as any modern hinge could ever hope to be.

This is not a knock at Mustang Steve, as I've seen his kits and they are top notch, but the standard rebuild kits are quite good and much less money. It's the brass bushings that wear and need to be serviced. I used an OEM Ford kit that is no longer available but the same kit is available in the aftermarket. At the rate I drive my car, I expect my rebuilt hinges to outlive me. Mustang Steve's would probably outlive my grandchildren.  Just a less expensive option to consider.

Gents, with all due respect, the Mustang Steve hinge kits are far and away superior to any of the standard rebuild kits available, and they correct a few deficiencies the standard kits simply do not (hinge pin diameter, bushing load capacity, etc.  Fact is, as 69RavenConv stated, they will probably outlast our grandchildren.  The stock hing pins and bushings simply are not big enough for the weight of the factory door, much less a door that has added sound deadening in it (as an example).

I can't speak for the quality of any other kits from Mustang Steve (with the exception of the ball bearing clutch shaft kit), but the hinge kits are first rate and worth the investment in my experience and opinion.

Best.

I've bought the "off the shelf" hinge rebuild kit but have found all to often the hinge itself was so neglected that the replacement bushings in the rebuild kit fit poorly. The last set of OEM hinges I rebuilt I set up in a mill and reamed the hinge hole oversize. I machined new oversized bushings and pressed them in, reamed the I.D. for the new pin and assembled them. Overkill by some standards but I like a firm OEM hinge.  

Just my preference

I've bought the "off the shelf" hinge rebuild kit but have found all to often the hinge itself was so neglected that the replacement bushings in the rebuild kit fit poorly. The last set of OEM hinges I rebuilt I set up in a mill and reamed the hinge hole oversize. I machined new oversized bushings and pressed them in, reamed the I.D. for the new pin and assembled them. Overkill by some standards but I like a firm OEM hinge.  

Just my preference

You've pretty much described the essence of the Mustang Steve rebuild kit goals.  You can salvage an otherwise junk hinge with these kits and return them to better-than-new condition.  Stock rebuild kits have no hope of this as you described.