Sign in to follow this  
bryonbush

want a tac.. need options

I had the same requirement and ended up with a New Vintage Set including tach which owed me over 1k.

Wasn't that happy with the mounting and get plenty of glare on the lenses.

If I was starting again I would refurb the dash (maybe with white faces) and add the hood tach.

Year one or MTF 6 gauge bezel filled with Autometer looks like a good option also

I managed to fit an Autometer 3-3/4" Street Tach on my steering column and not block the original gauges.  I chose the flat black version thinking it might not look as large as the chrome version.  I went this route because I like the factory gauges and didn't want to drill my hood for a hood mount tach.  Autometer also has 2-5/8 version that fits much better but looks too small next to the factory gauges.

If you don't mind drilling the hood, a hood mount tach might be your answer.

I added a hood tach a few weeks back . Best thing ever. Before that I had a small tach on the steering column. I posted some photos on the forum a couple of weeks back. I was a little nervous drilling the hood but it came out nice . If you decide to go down that path and want some info let me know .

I went with a Year One 6 gage bezel with Autometer Pro Comp series Gage's and am using the red covers on the bulbs. No directionals on the bezel for me since they are in the hood scoop. Love the look.

post-14323-0-73575600-1429446260.jpg

I have the DD VHX setup ready to be installed.  Also did the clock option.  Currently I have a tach mounted to my steering column.  Works ok but does block most of the speedometer.  Easy to install if you have a MSD box.

I think it is a function of what you like and what you want to spend. I tracked down a used tach console and had the gauge refurbed and converted to a 3 wire. All of this cost money but I wanted it to look original.

A lot of the aftermarket setups look good (I like Chelby Anns) but they also cost money and are a totally different look.

The hood tac is something I didn't know about until recently and I think it looks cool. I would have seriously thought about this route as it gives the car that 70s period style.

They were on my short list also

Perhaps not to everyones liking, however,

I use the Sun tach 'copies' on my Mustangs.  they are pretty close to the cheesy period look, and they work just fine.

I have a couple cars with top shelf Autometer tachos, plus full gauges, and unless you are racing, and have a manual transmission, they can end up being more of an accessory than a vital gauge.

Don't get me wrong, I love gauges in my car.  I find the cheesy tacho suits me just fine in the Mustangs.

before;

T2eC16dzEFIe7B14U3BSWrGd0Oiw60_57.jpg

after

IMG00954-20131126-1529.jpg

40 bucks everywhere.   throwback, homage, copy....it is made for the old muscle car look, and works for me.

I went with a Year One 6 gage bezel with Autometer Pro Comp series Gage's and am using the red covers on the bulbs. No directionals on the bezel for me since they are in the hood scoop. Love the look.

I have an identical set in my 68 Camaro SS in a 6 hole dash insert, and they are really great.  Highly visible, accurate, easy to calibrate the speedo, and yes, they do look great.

thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay, ive been really busy this past week and this is the first time ive had my computer open since Friday. I would love to get a Dakota set but its out of the price range right now and not too keen on doing all that wiring. question is: was a hood tac even an option with a vert back then? im at a cross where Im not going full restomod but do like some of the newer upgrades and options out there. 

thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay, ive been really busy this past week and this is the first time ive had my computer open since Friday. I would love to get a Dakota set but its out of the price range right now and not too keen on doing all that wiring. question is: was a hood tac even an option with a vert back then? im at a cross where Im not going full restomod but do like some of the newer upgrades and options out there.

The hood tachos are available on eBay, and they look great. I have read that some owners have had some condensation issues with the eBay items, so you might want to try some careful waterproofing/sealing of the unit, before installation.

If you cant afford to go with the Dakota set and you don't like the tacho on the column maybe the hood tach is the way to go. I got mine of ebay pulled it apart and painted it black . Looks and works a treat. I don't drive my mustang around in the rain if i can help it so i haven't come across any condensation issues stated by SA69mach.

post-39819-0-11598100-1429753609.jpg