TexasEd

New grease zerks on suspension clogged

So I just installed all new upper and lower control arms, springs, etc on my car.

Next up are the steering parts and tie rods.  (see last page of my progress thread link)

On the upper control arms the grease zerks were already installed and when I tried to grease them I got back pressure and could not get any grease in them.  They seem to be clogged like an old soap or glue bottle can get a hard plug in them.

Someone suggested heating the zerk but watching out for the boot.  Should I just remove the zerk instead and try to clean with a needle?

If you are going to remove them for cleaning why not just replace them and be done? The fitting(s) may be defective.There are tools that are designed to clean the fitting without removing the fitting. But they cost 40 or so bucks. Not sure how well the tool works. Dave R.

thanks, John.

I bought these from you, the ball joints are taking grease just the 90 degree fitting on the upper shaft is tough. Maybe they are already packed? One UCA took a little but the other one took nothing that I could tell.

On the ball joints, I filled them until the boot had kind of a beer belly. Is that about right? I don't want to overfill them.

I lost one of the fittings for the lower arms but picked up an assortment at the local store today.

I'll be installing the tie rods and steering next.

Try backing out the zerk fitting a quarter turn, Sometimes they bottom out on the shaft and won't allow grease to flow in.

Try not to fill the tie rod too much, Watch the rubber covering and stop filling when you see it start to balloon outwards some, Too much can cause them to split over time.

The upper arms do come pre-greased so it may be a case that the shaft kit has enough grease. You don't want to push too hard with the grease gun. That could push out the O ring dust seal around the shaft kit.  If later on you have issues with it taking grease let me know and I'll send you another set of fittings. We like to take care of our customers long after the sale.

There may be too much grease in the ball joint.. Those dust boots come off by prying up with a screw driver. There is a metal ring around the bottom that holds it on to the ball joint body. You could take it off and remove some of the grease. I agree with the others that having the dust boot too full can cause a split. 

You will like those arms. The time we spend on them to make sure the shaft kit is centered and the bushings are adjusted properly makes for a long lasting upper arm that moves smooth, fits the car well and won't squeak. 

I usually remove the grease fittings when they are new or in a new suspension components.  I spray them out with some sort of cleaning solution and then run grease thru them to make sure they work, after that I install them and call it a day.  If I were you, Id remove the questionable fittings, do what I do then call it good.

Just to let everyone know, Jon at OpenTracker answered all my questions by e-mail for me.

It turns out they were pre-greased and already full.  I couln't get any more in there because they were full, there was nothing wrong with the fittings.

Jon and OpenTracker are a great resource for our cars and I highly recommend his business.