jatkinson

Door Panels

I replaced my door panels with TMI last year.  I had them replaced at least four times before the quality was acceptable.  I think TMI was new to manufacturing 69 /70 door panels in the last two years.  Hopefully TMI has gets their quality plan in order.  The backing is plastic which is lightweight and will last forever.  The contoured edge detail is sharper then original.  I wouldn't worry about color match since the since the 70 colors are well known and defined in the industry. In the end I am very happy with them.  The fit and finish is very good.  You can see a picture of my TMI door panel in my link below.  

I bought mine from NPD many years ago.  I am happy with them.  As best I can tell, they match the originals very well.  If you want an original, I know Perogie Enterprises use to sell rebuilt original door panels.  I don't know if they still are doing so.

The Mach 1 door panels I purchased from NPD did not come with the window felt.  So what you see without the felts from Virginia Mustang is probably correct.  I'm in California so I use NPD for repro parts because the shipping is faster and less expensive, and not Virginia Mustangs and CJ Pony Parts.

Here is my 2 cents worth. I feel like there is only one or two companies that actually produce the door panels. The rest of the companies named in this thread are just distributors. Kinda like the old days when we had about 30 different brands of VCR's to choose from but they were all produced by 2 or 3 companies. That said, the actual manufacturers of the panel maybe make a couple of different quality levels of their panel so the distributors have options for their customers. If my info is correct, Dashes Direct products are made by their mother company, Universal Urethane. I suspect that Universal Urethane sells to the distribution houses such as CJ, Virginia Mustang, NPD, etc. Just a semi-educated guess on my part. Dave R.

Here is my 2 cents worth. I feel like there is only one or two companies that actually produce the door panels. The rest of the companies named in this thread are just distributors. Kinda like the old days when we had about 30 different brands of VCR's to choose from but they were all produced by 2 or 3 companies. That said, the actual manufacturers of the panel maybe make a couple of different quality levels of their panel so the distributors have options for their customers. If my info is correct, Dashes Direct products are made by their mother company, Universal Urethane. I suspect that Universal Urethane sells to the distribution houses such as CJ, Virginia Mustang, NPD, etc. Just a semi-educated guess on my part. Dave R.

My thoughts exactly on the number of companies making door panels.  For that matter, I believe it applies to most of the repro parts.  When I was buying parts from local Mustang parts and service business, for repro items, the parts dept. sold mostly Scott Drake labeled stuff.  But they would tell me just what Dave R. mentioned.

I read many posts referencing which company sells a better repro item, when the fact is most are likely selling the same thing.