miketyler

Differences in 69 and 70 drum brake spindles

I found an SSBC disc brake set advertised to be for 64-69 cars with drum brakes. Its a 13" rotor set with 4 piston alum calipers and discounted substantially. I want to make this work on my car but what would be the difference between a 69 drum spindle and a 70 drum spindle?

F54518816.jpg

The 70 has a larger diameter "spindle" part of the upright, which requires different bearings (A12 &A13 I believe) but uses the same hub. The tapered hole in the arm for the tie rod is also larger. The steering geometry and 4 hole mounting for the caliper bracket are the same.

Bob

Edited by RPM

Thanks Bob! If I understand correctly then I could make the kit work if I got the 69 drum spindles and changed my 70 tie rod ends? The kit would come with inner and outer bearings for the kit rotor.

Dave - this is an individual with an open box kit he is wanting to sell for a family memeber thats not online. If the deal doesnt make sense to me economically then I will pass along his info.

Thanks Bob! If I understand correctly then I could make the kit work if I got the 69 drum spindles and changed my 70 tie rod ends? The kit would come with inner and outer bearings for the kit rotor.

Dave - this is an individual with an open box kit he is wanting to sell for a family memeber thats not online. If the deal doesnt make sense to me economically then I will pass along his info.

Thanks Mike

Yes Mike, the outer tie rods are specific for each year.

Bob

I have heard that you can buy the 70 bearings an install them and make it work but I have never done it so I don't really know for sure.

If it's that great of a deal then get the system because I have some of the earlier spindles and can trade you for the 70 ones you have

Bob

Hold on Miketyler, don't go changing anything....

The 70 spindle is an upgrade in strength and you don't need to change anything to fit those brakes.

Ford made the upgrade and wanted to keep all the rotors and hubs from the earlier years, so they altered the BEARINGS to allow fitment of the stock hub and rotor onto the thicker spindle. The bigger tie rod ends is simply for a larger hole which is the result of an upgrade to a beefier outer joint.

The bearings for a 70 are the same outer diameter as bearing from a 69. It is the inner diameter that is larger to accommodate the thicker stub.

Check with Dan at Chockostang for confirmation and he will have the bearings and all the information to help you decide.

But please don't throw away your 70 spindles, they are a good thing...

Understood - thanks guys for that info. I am looking at the installation photos and the 69 spindles do look substantially smaller. I am negotiating purchase now. I figure if I cant make them work I can resell them to get my money back.

Mike do you have 70 drum spindles? I didn't read that, but if so buy the kit, use your 70 drum spindles and sell the 69 drum spindles. The pic looks like an OEM bracket (4 hole on the spindle).

70 spindle, has 1.375" big end and around 1" on the small end.

69 spindle, has 1.250" big end and .750" on the small end.

Bob

Re-read my post and to be clear, the only thing you need to buy to make those brakes fit your 1970 spindles is a set of 70 bearings. If you are a risk taker you could just keep the bearings you are running now, but a set of new Timkens would be a good thing too, with new brakes.

Sounds like a nice upgrade.

I have factory discs up front so I would still need to locate a pair of 70 drum spindles. I wont know for certain if this will work until I have the parts in hand. It would be great if this does work out but knowing that the rotors, races, and bearings are SSBC makes me wary that they may be unique design.

Ah, understood. You have front factory disc spindle. Not so good for bolt on kit brakes.

Hmm.

Here is some disc brake info from Chockostangs site

http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/discbrakefacts.html

Street or Track sell forged spindles, but are the disc spindles, like you already have.

Not sure if your current brakes are not to your liking. Perhaps new and better pads would improve them for you? Obvious upgrades are bigger rotors and calipers, like Baer, Wilwood, maybe even factory Ford big singles, like on 428 CJ's and the BOSS cars. I have two cars with Baer 6 pistons, and Wilwood lightweight hubs and 6 piston fronts, and they are very very good, amazing would be a fair comment.

You have some interesting decisions. The brakes may be a nice, quick easy money maker for you, if you get them cheap. Any 73 and earlier Mustang with drums will be a potential customer for the brake kit. SSBC is nice stuff.

The drum spindles in 1970 are the same from V8 and 6cyl cars so there are plenty around.

Do you have a set of calipers?

If so you can go to the auto parts store and ask them to pull the bearings for the 69 and the 70 and measure them there.

I am willing to bet that SSBC uses the stock bearings but you can call them and ask

If you resell the set let me know

Bob

Thanks. I paid for the set and am waiting for it to ship. I'm having no luck finding a pair of 70 style drum spindles. Chock only has drivers side. Maybe I need to cast a wider net. What all cars used the big spindle, D0AA BB type drum spindles? 70-73 Mustangs and Cougars all compatible?

Granada Spindles will work wont they?

I bought the complete CSRP Granada disc brake upgrade kit for a bit less than 600.00 a few years ago and now that the car is on the road I can say that these brakes are PHENOMENAL, and will out stop my friends SSBC brakes...I am also running the Big rear shoes over his rear disc brakes.

you touch the pedal and it moves about 1/4" and the car starts scrubbing speed VERY FAST...I was impressed.

I think the SSBC kit uses Timken Bearings tho because we had to replace a wheel bearing on my friends car and we got them from Auto Zone

Ah, understood. You have front factory disc spindle. Not so good for bolt on kit brakes.

Hmm.

Here is some disc brake info from Chockostangs site

http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/discbrakefacts.html

Street or Track sell forged spindles, but are the disc spindles, like you already have.

Not sure if your current brakes are not to your liking. Perhaps new and better pads would improve them for you? Obvious upgrades are bigger rotors and calipers, like Baer, Wilwood, maybe even factory Ford big singles, like on 428 CJ's and the BOSS cars. I have two cars with Baer 6 pistons, and Wilwood lightweight hubs and 6 piston fronts, and they are very very good, amazing would be a fair comment.

You have some interesting decisions. The brakes may be a nice, quick easy money maker for you, if you get them cheap. Any 73 and earlier Mustang with drums will be a potential customer for the brake kit. SSBC is nice stuff.

Very interested in your setup.  Do you have more details, pictures, etc?  What spindles do you use?

Very interested in your setup.  Do you have more details, pictures, etc?  What spindles do you use?

I have not been able to post any pics since the change over to the new site server, but will figure it out I suppose.  "File size to big"

I should be holding a cross or some garlic, but the cars with the big brakes are both Camaros.  My 68  Big Block is a hard running street car, automatic TH400, with built Ford 9 inch rear running 3.50 Daytona center and tru-trac, forged axles.  That particular brake set up was all new Wilwood forged lightweight hubs with 6 piston calipers front, and 4 piston disc rears.  I also got (under recommendation) a dual tandem 7/8th" aluminum master cylinder and ran it as a manual brake system.  The brakes never bled up hard when all plumbed, and confounded the heck out of two hot rod shops and two brake expert shop for over 12 months.  And Wilwood techs were not interested or helpful, giving the same response every time - "Its air in the system, keep bleeding"  Very frustrating.  In the end some old brake dude walks in to the last shop and watches for a while and says "Master cylinder is too small"  He was right, Lesson learned.  Amazing brakes and you can use 17 inch wheels with no fitting issues.  That car has truck arm rear suspension and tubular A-arms, so it handles great and the whole ride is different from factory.  Acceleration and braking feel completely different, much tighter and the car feels like it is pulling downwards under heavy braking.  Excellent performance  Probably overkill on a street car, but a lot of fun, and safer.

The Baer system is on a 93 Z28, stinking hot 383 stroker LT1 engine,  (499 rwhp) T56, McLeod dual clutch, Built Ford 9 inch with Daytona lightweight center running 4.30 gears and full Detroit posi.  Brutal street car, good track car  Baer 6P 14 inch rotors.  You need 18 inch wheels minimum.  I have late model 19 inch Corvette wheels, so no problem.  Still use the factory power booster and pedal , and they are, as you would expect, stunning brakes in performance.  275 front tires, 315 rears, and it hauls a$$ and stops on a dime.  Good investment if you can afford it and have big wheels.

they are both quality kits and parts.  Obviously the Baer is better braking, but only due to the physics.  Bigger is better, exponentially. 

I got the SSBC kit this week. The box dimmed out at over 100lbs. The rotors are massive and probably account for 75% of the weight. They also have an unusally bright finish on them.The calipers are bare aluminum and are huge as well but being made of aluminum are pretty light. The kit comes with a M/C and prop valve but hoping I can just use the OEM factory power disc M/C that I have on the car now. I found a pair of 70 drum spindles and should know soon if this is all going to work for me. I have never thought my brakes were adequate. I will get a chance to fix all that whenthese go on.