Sign in to follow this  
bryonbush

engine swap list

If we knew specific's about the year of the car and the motor, then we can be specific as well as to what to anticipate.

I think you meant you were going from a 302 to a 351W. Basically everything will be the same within reason with the exception of your exhaust flange to manifold connection.

The 302 and 351 are the same design, the deck height is just taller. Also, the water pumps are not the same in some applications, so often a different radiator is required. Anything related to deck height may not be interchangeable. Front dress brackets, exhaust headers, maybe z-bars if a manual (can't remember).

Often your best bet is to look in a catalog like NPD and see if there is a different part number for 302 vs 351.

The 302 and 351 are the same design, the deck height is just taller. Also, the water pumps are not the same in some applications, so often a different radiator is required. Anything related to deck height may not be interchangeable. Front dress brackets, exhaust headers, maybe z-bars if a manual (can't remember).

Often your best bet is to look in a catalog like NPD and see if there is a different part number for 302 vs 351.

Yeah, going through the NPD catalog will help. If it is a manual trans, there are a lot of clutch differences. The 351 uses an 11 inch clutch, 164 tooth flywheel, larger bell housing, trans front bearing retainer to fit the larger bell housing, different Z-bar, and different linkage rods that attach to the Z-bar. Some people use the 10.5 inch clutch and related parts from a 302, but its not correct.

If its an auto, I think barnett468 mentioned the different shifter box and rod for the FMX trans. Originally, they used the FMX with the 351W and the C4 with the 302. Something tells me in stock form, the FMX was more robust than the C4.

yeah i should have been more clear i guess. it will be in my 69 vert with a C4, non AC and power steering and brakes. will i need a new flexplate for the trans? i'm not sure which side the water pump is on the 351W so ill have to find out then go from there for a radiator. what about new motor mounts?

Motor mounts should be the same.

For some reason I had issues with mine, either way it was an excuse to buy poly urethane ones but for some odd reason I had bolt alignment issues but after some 30 minutes of wrestling with my 351w they bolted right up finally.

@byronbush, I did a 302 to 351w conversion, I had to change water pump and front mount brackets for Alt and PS, I did re-use my "Tall" valve covers had to change headers (Went with long tubes).

I did replace my radiator, I went with aluminum, they where roughly the same size so I had no issue there with Mech Fan, Im still currently running my c4 unfortunately :( saving my dime and nickels for a 5 speed swap...hopefully soon.

yeah i should have been more clear i guess. it will be in my 69 vert with a C4, non AC and power steering and brakes. will i need a new flexplate for the trans? i'm not sure which side the water pump is on the 351W so ill have to find out then go from there for a radiator. what about new motor mounts?

The 1969 351W the water pump outlet is on the passenger side. Like others mentioned, you will need brackets for the alternator and P/S pump. You will need the Alt pivot bolt bracket that bolts to the cylinder and the pivot bolt bracket for the P/S pump. The brackets are needed because the pivot bolts on a the taller 351W line up with the cylinder head front freeze plugs.

I know the 351W cars came with an FMX and used a 164 tooth flex plate and I believe the 302 with C4 setups had a 157 tooth flywheel. If your 302 flex plate has the correct 28 oz. imbalance it might work since you are reusing the C4. I see rwcstang did it, so I guess it works okay.

For some reason I had issues with mine, either way it was an excuse to buy poly urethane ones but for some odd reason I had bolt alignment issues but after some 30 minutes of wrestling with my 351w they bolted right up finally.

@byronbush, I did a 302 to 351w conversion, I had to change water pump and front mount brackets for Alt and PS, I did re-use my "Tall" valve covers had to change headers (Went with long tubes).

I did replace my radiator, I went with aluminum, they where roughly the same size so I had no issue there with Mech Fan, Im still currently running my c4 unfortunately :( saving my dime and nickels for a 5 speed swap...hopefully soon.

I have to say yours is one of the nicer looking coupes I have ever seen, I really like it.

The 1969 351W the water pump outlet is on the passenger side. Like others mentioned, you will need brackets for the alternator and P/S pump. You will need the Alt pivot bolt bracket that bolts to the cylinder and the pivot bolt bracket for the P/S pump. The brackets are needed because the pivot bolts on a the taller 351W line up with the cylinder head front freeze plugs.

I know the 351W cars came with an FMX and used a 164 tooth flex plate and I believe the 302 with C4 setups had a 157 tooth flywheel. If your 302 flex plate has the correct 28 oz. imbalance it might work since you are reusing the C4. I see rwcstang did it, so I guess it works okay.

In 69 when the 351 came out, they used an adapter on the cylinder head so that they could just use 302 brackets. I believe they changed it in 70 so that 351 cars had different brackets, then changed it again when they went to Clevelands. Not 100% sure on that, but pretty sure.

@max - Thanks, I tried to make this coupe look good, I was very anal (no homo) about the color...lol I loved the reds, blues I even wanted to go with the original color which was Lime Gold, but Silver was calling my name.

I feel like these models are untouched and need to make more of a appearance, hopefully my car can let other coupe owners know that you can make a coupe look just as badass as a fastback, lol.

my next project will definitely be a sportsroof lol I just need to find one that's worth buying. lol

anyone have any good recommendations on the brackets? Also, anyone use the champion 3 row radiator?

EDIT: from what ive read, this should work correct? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/380646774886

For brackets take a look at CVF racing. I bought mine from them at a great price and quality product. They have some nice options for the small blocks too.