Sign in to follow this  
BandBSTANGS

New rear 4.5 leaf springs...NOW what?

Summit offered to take them back for 10% restocking fee, which I feel is reasonable, but the cost of freight to send them back will be high.

Buying different springs will be the same crap shoot as to where the ride height will be.

I'm open for suggestions, but the only way that I see that is can get the car where I want it is to have springs altered.

I've removed a leaf to lower the front of a 1956 Ford F100 Pick-up. It worked. I honestly understand working with what you have. If exchanging the mid-eye springs under warranty is out of the question, I would take them (the mid-eye springs)to your local spring shop and see what they can do.

Always tighten the springs with the full weight of the car on them or as stated the bushings will be bound up .I did a rear leaf kit on my 35 Ford pick up ,tightened the leafs with full weight and the truck sat a little high so i removed one leaf ,after driving it a few times the springs settled ,now i get to put the leaf back so springs will settle a bit .

Well I do live in Mississippi, but I can't handle the 4wd look with the Scott Drake lowering springs. I carried my old springs to Custom Springs in Memphis and had them de-arched 1.5 inches.

Shop added a 1/2 leaf to frt side to help combat wheel hop, cost $100.00.

We'll see how this works.

I'll take before & after photos.

Well I do live in Mississippi, but I can't handle the 4wd look with the Scott Drake lowering springs. I carried my old springs to Custom Springs in Memphis and had them de-arched 1.5 inches.

Shop added a 1/2 leaf to frt side to help combat wheel hop, cost $100.00.

We'll see how this works.

I'll take before & after photos.

thats ridiculously cheap . . the extra leaf should be clamped to the other spring on the end closest to the front mounting bolt.

This is a good topic. I dropped my car dramatically and had my stock springs de-arched 2". Under vehicle weight load, they flatten out to nearly straight with no arch to them. The ride is ok but firm and the front is worse than the rear.

I am now looking at best options to restore driving comfort while trying to retain current ride height. BTW, that sounds like a good spring shop you are dealing with; mine charged me $100/spring. I didn't realize at the time, that was about what I could have bought a new pair of drop springs for.

Mike that was my philosophy when I bought the Scott Drake springs.

So now I'm chasing the look/ride height that I want. Spring shop suggested that if the re-arched original springs don't give me what I want to bring the S/D springs to him and he would combine the 2 sets to help[ put the car where I want it.