Sign in to follow this  
BandBSTANGS

New rear 4.5 leaf springs...NOW what?

The common question arises its ugly head again

Installed new Scott Drake 4.5 mid-eye 1nch lowering spring.

Now I need 2 inch lowering block to reach the height that stock leaf springs set at originally and I was trying to lower the rear 1.5 inches.

What are my options?

I was trying to avoid lowering blocks from the get-go. Should I take my original springs (I have new front spring bushings already) and carry them to local spring shop and have them re-arched to lower rear like I originally intended to do (before the bright idea "I'll buy new springs!") and add the addl 1/2 leaf on frt?????

Anyone no a picture frame shop that can make a frame to hang the "Scott Drake" lowering springs in???

The common question arises its ugly head again

Installed new Scott Drake 4.5 mid-eye 1nch lowering spring.

Now I need 2 inch lowering block to reach the height that stock leaf springs set at originally and I was trying to lower the rear 1.5 inches.

What are my options?

I was trying to avoid lowering blocks from the get-go. Should I take my original springs (I have new front spring bushings already) and carry them to local spring shop and have them re-arched to lower rear like I originally intended to do (before the bright idea "I'll buy new springs!") and add the addl 1/2 leaf on frt?????

Anyone no a picture frame shop that can make a frame to hang the "Scott Drake" lowering springs in???

Did you tighten the spring eye bolts with the car on the ground? If not, and the bushings are rubber type, it's possible the bushings are bound up preventing the spring from compressing. Otherwise, I would return the springs. I have Grab-A-Trak 5 leaf mid-eye springs from Mustangs Plus and didn't have any issues. I started with their reverse eye spring and they dropped the car much more than advertised. I had them too long so was forced to buy new springs. I then bought the 5 leaf standard eye springs and the car was much too high so Mustangs Plus exchanged them for mid-eye 5 leaf springs which worked out well.

If you cannot return the mid-eye springs, your local spring shop should be able to re-arch them to lower the car the amount you want.

Don't forget, your original front springs were most likely sagging a lot so it's you really cannot use that as the stock ride height.

Did you tighten the spring eye bolts with the car on the ground? If not, and the bushings are rubber type, it's possible the bushings are bound up preventing the spring from compressing. Otherwise, I would return the springs. I have Grab-A-Trak 5 leaf mid-eye springs from Mustangs Plus and didn't have any issues. I started with their reverse eye spring and they dropped the car much more than advertised. I had them too long so was forced to buy new springs. I then bought the 5 leaf standard eye springs and the car was much too high so Mustangs Plus exchanged them for mid-eye 5 leaf springs which worked out well.

If you cannot return the mid-eye springs, your local spring shop should be able to re-arch them to lower the car the amount you want.

Don't forget, your original front springs were most likely sagging a lot so it's you really cannot use that as the stock ride height.

Did you get rid of your reverse eye springs? If not I may be interested in them.

Did you get rid of your reverse eye springs? If not I may be interested in them.

The spring were put on and tightened up with car on jack stands under subframe connectors. rear housing was out being painted while new 3:50 gear and traction lock was being setup.

Will just the weight of the springs themselves cause the bushing bind that your talking about?

The spring were put on and tightened up with car on jack stands under subframe connectors. rear housing was out being painted while new 3:50 gear and traction lock was being setup.

Will just the weight of the springs themselves cause the bushing bind that your talking about?

good info in here, ima have to get under my car and loosen and retighten mines. I didn't know about loading the springs, may be the cause of my squeaking. that or the poly bushings. :endthreadjack:

thanks guys

good info in here, ima have to get under my car and loosen and retighten mines. I didn't know about loading the springs, may be the cause of my squeaking. that or the poly bushings. :endthreadjack:

thanks guys

Grabber70Mach, Sorry, I sold them locally to a guy with another 1969 Mach 1. I will say reverse eye springs will drop the back of the car a lot.

70769, I have Poly bushings in mine, lubed them with the grease from Energy Suspensions and have no squeaks. I used more than the little packet that comes with the bushing kits. Are your Poly bushings black? The black bushings contain graphite which helps as a self lubricant. Energy Suspensions Tech told me Anti Seize compound is also a good lubricant.

Grabber70Mach, Sorry, I sold them locally to a guy with another 1969 Mach 1. I will say reverse eye springs will drop the back of the car a lot.

70769, I have Poly bushings in mine, lubed them with the grease from Energy Suspensions and have no squeaks. I used more than the little packet that comes with the bushing kits. Are your Poly bushings black? The black bushings contain graphite which helps as a self lubricant. Energy Suspensions Tech told me Anti Seize compound is also a good lubricant.

Yea I've got the black poly grab a track ones. I did put some poly lube in, but i guess not enough, i think i got some anti seize somewhere, thanks for the info!

:thumbup1:

Rubber bushing do not slip and rotate inside the metal shells like a Poly bushing. The rubber constantly deforms and relaxes in a twisting method without slipping as the suspension moves up and down. So the rubber bushings must be in their relaxed, non deformed state, at normal ride height. That is why Mach1Mike and others have suggested tightening the bolts with the vehicle on the ground at normal ride height. I would loosen the bolts a little, bounce on the back of the car several times, maybe even drive it easy up and down the block, then retighten the bolts with the car on the ground

Edited by 1969_Mach1

Tough call to make. If it were mine I don't think I would try to reuse the 45 year old springs. It's hard to believe the Scott Drake springs are that far off for ride height. It might be partly because the original springs had sagged down a lot. Also, these cars had a fairly tall ride height when new.