Sign in to follow this  
horseman54

Misfit Parts

I keep running into fitment issues with sheet metal, frame rails, etc. Is it me or do they just not have any standards when making these? I have had to modify nearly every piece I try to install on my 69 project car. I'm trying to fit the front torque boxes, frame rails, and new firewall together and it seems that the angle where they meet is different on each piece. :mad:

Yes as MikeStang said this is pretty common. I have replaced lots of repo panels and usually have to do work to them but as I mentioned in another post the panel that fit the best and thought it would be the worst is the full one piece 1/4 . To my surprise it fit really well.

Dave

no guarantee that parts are the same quality one order to the next. dynacorn parts are suppose to be good but not always the case. nobody makes parts equal to oem its more work to find a good donor but worth the effort.

i just finished installing a 70 front frame onto my 69 not because of rust but poor previous damage repair. Then i put an ad in c/l for the perfect rockers and rear torque/frame and no one responded so they went for scrap i dont get it, why do people prefer to fight with aftermarket rather than the clean up of oem part? Local mustang restorer didnt even want them for that same reason said he had a yard full of parts he couldnt sell. Although i can see where finding a good quarter would be a challenge they just were not protected enough on the inside. the rockers and frame seem to have a zinc coating

Edited by jagbucket

I am also replacing the rear torque boxes with the short frame rail attached. One of the ones I got is not square so I'm in the process of returning it. Yes the rockers are galvanized but where the torque boxes weld onto then they rust out badly. I got some 16 guage sheet metal and fabricated sections of the inner rocker and welded in place.

Dynacorn quarters seem to fit really well, ive never had an issue with any dynacorn quarter ive fitted.

Ive been really lucky with all the dynacorn parts ive welded on my car, I haven't had to modify a single.

The new doors will require 'gapping' tho but thats pretty common.

Dynacorn is not a manufacturer. They are a middleman. They use different companies to make their parts. These same companies make vintage Mustang parts for other companies. And it's quite normal to not have repro parts fit perfectly. But as BuckeyeDemon said, at least you can buy repro parts for our cars.

Dynacorn is not a manufacturer. They are a middleman. They use different companies to make their parts.

You are correct, I can tell you from experience however that dynacorn must get their quarters from the same manufacturer, EVERY quarter ive ever installed on a mustang that came from dynacorn fit perfectly.

We have also ordered quarters from goodmark which must be made elsewhere because there weren't even close.

We ended up cutting up the goodmark quarters and using pieces for small patch repair.

Unless you buy NOS they all come from Taiwan.

For some reason a few ppl I know seem to think that goodmark parts are made in USA, not the case, Taiwan just like dynacorn.

I installed 3 right quarters on my fastback, at first they only offered one crappy repop, then I got a nicer repop (no one offered a full, to the roof, quarter at the time) that didnt fit as well and they didnt have the scoop cut in so that was fun, eventually I got a full quarter and it was pretty close. In that 10 years span, I had about every make of parts on different areas of the car, floors, body etc. every piece needed a lot of work to fit ok. luckily the doors were in decent shape right out of the box.