Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

help with hanging/ aligning doors

any suggestions for spacers to help with door alignment? I have original door frames with new skins going back on. I understand that the hinges have many different adjustments to mess with but curious if there are any tips for aligning or if it is just a time consuming trial and error situation.

Thanks,

Dave

Just my $.02

Time consuming and you really need a helper. I used masking tape placed "near" the edges of the hinge to help assist as a reference to determine the amount of movement made when adjusting. Still it can be very time consuming.

My hat is off to anyone who does this by their lonesome.

run a tap in the hinge threads and lube the area up. car needs to be on its wheels or supported in the same place as wheels. fenders ready to go on to check your work. If the only thing missing is the doors just even the gaps, and dont overlook the bottom gap parallel front to back. with a new skin you might find your door gaps have changed. Its meticulous work and in the end is usually a compromise somewhere . i sometimes use a paint stick to check gaps but by eye is usual "pleasing to the eye" is what counts

The way I did it was without the fenders on, I placed the door in the closed position on the striker like the door is closed & the messes with the hinges to get the door bottom to the rocker panel gap good while the striker is holding the back of the door in place.

100_0532_zps46aaf44e.jpg

100_0534_zps101cd4d6.jpg

The r/s door got a new skin & the l/s is a new shell.

I used three Popsicle sticks stacked up to set my door bottom gap. I taped them to the sill, this helped to stabilize the door while I moved it in out. That way it was always level with the bottom.

My 2cents...put the hood on first and gap the cowl, start from the front. Line up your fenders to the hood and work you way back to the rear quarters. The gaps on one side of the car might not be the same as the other side, but it is less noticeable than the fenders and hood not matching. If you want the gaps on both sides to match then you will have to build out one of the rear quarters to make it work.