Sign in to follow this  
Chris'69Mach

EFI System???? What one?

I recently installed Edelbrocks E-Street EFI. Or actually I wan't competent enough and had to turn to a mechanic to do it. It's wasn't as bolt on as stated. Or at least my car (a 302 4V in very good shape) had to have some new wiring done before it could deliver what the EFI needed. Also had to change the coil and add a Street Fire Box to get it to run past 4000 rpm. Then the software on the tablet had to be adjusted multiple times for the car to even start up and the bluetooth connection kept on failing. So after many adjustments and re-wiring it works. And boy does it work!! It's very awesome and the whole control on the tablet is very sophisticated and easy to use for a non-mechanic like myself. But just don't think you can install it and get it to work in a few hours.

Edelbrocks customer service is excellent and they could help program the software so it now works like a charm.

I had the MSD atomic EFI on a 88 saleen with a 418 CI motor.

I thought it was excellent, so easy to use with like 8 wires to connect.

It learns as you drive it, you can set the fuel ratios with a simple scroll through the menu and adjust as your driving it.

Sold the car to fund my 70 project.

Updates are easy to do also, go onto MSD website put a camera memory card into your computer download update on it then go to car plug the memory card in the handheld device and upload, done.

Edited by 70fastbak

A timely post, as it seems the TV car shows are full of these conversions. I was somewhat surprised by the cost, but I am seeing the retail numbers. Are we really in the mid 2 k price range for these?

Easily.

I worked the Edelbrock trailer at Car Craft and there were quite a few questions about these, and I asked everyone what there goals were in buying a system like this, and how they used their vehicles. A great many of them barely drove 1000 miles a year, like me, so spending $2500 can buy you a lot of carb tuning at that rate.

Edelbrock has an extremely cool under hood high pressure fuel pump set up though that could be used with any system. You keep your low pressure pump to feed a high pressure one in a mini-sump tank under the hood. Easier than changing the main tank, running return lines, etc. Only $550!

The electronics is what gets a lot of people. Old cars with brittle harnesses and 40A alternators will need some real upgrades to run these. The book link I posted above covers that.

The cost of after market EFI conversions are costly. When I started checking into these kits I couldn't believe the cost. Does anyone know why you could not use the EFI out of a late 80's early 90's 351 F150. Is it due to space limitations?

Dave

I went with the Holley Terminator EFI and have been extremely satisfied. It is easily the best money I've spent on the car and my favorite upgrade. I have it controlling the timing by using a MSD TFI distributor. It also controls my dual electric fans. Reaching through the window and starting the car up will not get old. Drove it to Charlotte for the 50th from NH and got 18 miles to the gallon, not bad for a 418W/TKO 600 combo pushing 515hp. You just have to get over the price, it is SOOOO worth it!!

The cost of after market EFI conversions are costly. When I started checking into these kits I couldn't believe the cost. Does anyone know why you could not use the EFI out of a late 80's early 90's 351 F150. Is it due to space limitations?

Dave

You could do that. Then down the road either run a piggy back ecu or wire in an obd2 port and do a flash tune like a diablo sport or sct ect if you decide to upgrade or want more control. The good thing about the stock ecu's are the cold starts and drivability (if you don't have a good tuner for a standalone).

I spent way too much on my fast system. Xfi and xim. I should of done a magnasquirt with a flying lead harness. A quick check online and a ms3 pro with 8' harness is $1,199. I could of bought 2.5 ms3 pro systems for the cost of the fast one. The self learn feature on the ve table works great. I had a buddy do a ms on his fox and I couldn't believe how well the self learn worked. You need to get it tuned for best results

I have a buddy who went to the wreckers and got an ecu for his Chevy wagon. He printed off the wiring and pinned out each pin on the ecu. He wired in the obd2 port and did a flash tune. With the hand held tuner he was around 2k invested. He used all the stock sensors out of the wreckers as well. It turned out good.

I don't really like the bolt on carb ones. Too many horror stories for me.

There are lots of different ways how to do fuel injection. Make sure you do one were you have room to grow or you will pay again.

Hope this helps.

One last question and I will quit high jacking this thread.

Rip Rock, If you use the f150 complete systems are you tied to the stock heads or can you upgrade them as well.

That system is for that motor unless you tune the stock system some how(stated above).It's much easier to do an aftermarket ecu. That way there is no limits on what engine is in there.