miketyler

Updating OEM radio to current technology

I really like the looks of the OEM radio in my car. No cutting, fits right and keeps everything looking original. Danno did a great job of adding pre-outs for a sub, pwr antenna wire, and a slick stealth aux input switch for connecting an iPod or MP3 player.

All works great but the low fidelity of the FM radio leaves something to be desired. Static, station drift, and the flat sound shape now has me longing for the Alpine quality audio I have in my other car.

I never thought I would be interested in this but Is there an internal stealth radio upgrade solution for our OEM radios?

Mike, There are a number of places that do this type of service. I'm with you, I prefer the old classic look but the sound of a newer radio. A friend of mine had his done by this guy and loves it.

http://www.garytayman.com/stereo.htm

What a lot of them don't mention is you will most likely need to still add a small amplifier to get the sound level you get with a goof factory radio today.

On a separate note, I like the stance of your car. what size wheels/backspace and tire size are you running ?

Someone makes a radio bezel for the 69-70 than will take the install of a single DIN slot newer type stereo.

If you want to keep the stock look there are some good options from custom auto sound.

The other way is a friend of mine installed a hidden stereo in his 66 . He left the stock radio and installed the hidden system under the dash. Radio is controlled by a wireless remote.

Car looks stock, but has modern sound

Bob

Personally, I went with a Retrosound Model 2 "Malibu", designed for 69-70 Mustangs. With a small amp between the rear speakers under the package tray, split front speakers (4'+tweet x 2) and a JBL sub in the trunk, you can't see anything, and the sound is incredible!

G

I like the idea of the small foot print PCB but the price is pretty scary. Maybe I will have to think on the hidden radio option. Things are so cramped with all the electronics I already have I am unsure where I could put it unless behind one of the fiberglass panels.

On a separate note, I like the stance of your car. what size wheels/backspace and tire size are you running ?

@ Wycked69 - Check out Zippos post. I just went over all the specs there for him as he was interested as well.

I used Tayman to update another radio in another car. It looks stock but the sound quality is not great. Probably needs an amp in line and the car is a convertible. I don't imagine it will be any better than the Danno solution--plus its pricey.

I went with he Retrosound Malibu (I think--looks stock and has these decals that go over the face). The price is right, tons of inputs, sounds great (even without an amp), the decal looks a little silly when the radio is on but off, it looks pretty cool. Has a blue tooth hands free setup, all in all a good choice.

The negatives are the install, it is designed for multiple applications (which I understand) but has a ton of adjustments in the control knobs that took a while to get situated perfectly.

I will throw in my 2 cents worth. Ford made a lot of very good radios back in the 1970's. With everthing else being the same ( speakers, amplifier, and input from the antenna), it would be very difficult to tell the difference between an old one and a new one. The problem comes from when you have a weaker signal from a radio station for any one of several reasons. A newer radio can work fine on a weaker signal than the original Ford radios.

One thing to check is your antenna. If it has a broken somewhere in it, it is not your radio's fault it has poor audio output. A bad antenna is rare, but it could happen. If your problem goes away when you are close to the station's tower, this could be the cause.

You also commented on the flatness of the sound. If what you are saying is there are no high notes and low notes in the audio, then this is more than likely also not the radio, but the amplifier or the speakers. As Ford had a very good radio for its time, it had extremely poor speakers and amplifier. I have always recommended an external amplifier and speaker improvements to solve this problem. The new radios have much better amplifiers built in, and so there is no need for an external amplifier.

I also assume that you are referring to the FM radio problem. You will NEVER get good sound quality out of the old AM radios. Even new radios will not get that great of sound from those AM stations.

So speakers are the biggest thing that can effect the sound. Amplifier is the second. A small external amplifier on an original Ford radio is also necessary to remove "flatness".

Mike, If your speakers sound fine when you are using the MP3 input, then you do not have a problem with your speakers or amplifier. Then you could have a problem with your radio.

If you want, I can take a look at it. I can clean some contacts, and put it on a scope so I can see if there is a problem with the radio itself that could be the problem. There is a chance you have something wrong with your radio. I will do it for no charge, just send it to me and I will take a look at it, if you want. You have nothing to loose by doing this.

If the audio is fine using your MP3, then maybe you have a radio or antenna problem. Let us know.

By the way, I can also install a Bluetooth receiver in these old radios. Then you use the phone to receive the radio station, transmit it to the car radio using bluetooth, and you eliminate your antenna and radio from being the problem.