Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Spot welder question...

Was looking at this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/115V-ELECTRIC-SPOT-WELDER-METAL-STUD-WELDING-TOOL-KIT-1-8-CAPACITY-COPPER-MOTOR-/351153062280?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item51c25a8188

It says it is a 1/8" spot welder. The question: Can you take a set of tips and grind them to a 1/4"? I'm just not sure 1/8" would be enough to put body panels together with.

Dave

I am replacing the roof on mine this winter. I thought about buying one using it then selling it. Figure if I give 100 and get 50 out of it, it may be worth 50 bucks on the roof itself to speed things up and keep me from gring spot welds around the front and back glass.

I have replaced the floors, seat risers, toe kick, both door skins, both qtrs, both outer wheel houses, tail light panel, fillers and trunk drop offs. Other than the bottom part of the tail light panel, I don't think I could have untilized it any where else.

I've used one of those spot welders and it worked great for me.

Provided your two pieces of metal are reasonably clean and the welder jaw clamps can reach they are a quick and easy way to join panels, plus no need to clean up afterwards.

If the jaw tips are too small for your liking you can grind them a bit so they make a bigger spot weld.

Done correctly they are plenty strong enough.

Hey guys.....the 1/8" I'm referring to is the tip size of the spot welder. The panel I was planning to spot weld is the trunk filler panel (part between the lower rear windshield/backlite and trunk lid). I realize that 1/8"spot welds are too small so that is why I am curious whether the tips can be ground down to provide a 1/4" spot weld. I also prefer plug welding but for this piece, it has a narrow channel in the trunk lip that I don't want to worry about being clean and consistent with plug welds.

Yes, you can simply file the tips down to create a bigger spot weld as long as the current is sufficient to make the spot weld. The bigger the diameter, the greater the current and pressure needed to form the weld.

Yes you can. I have done it for years using a spot welder to put these cars back together.

You need to be sure the metal is clean and clamped well,together to get the best spot weld.

When you file the tips down they say to make them flat and parallel, if you use some sand paper to round off the edges I think the spot welds look more like the ones the factory made

Bob