Sign in to follow this  
70fastbak

Progress of last two days

So I got a lot done the past couple of days.

A lot of measuring, putting doors and off, putting fenders on and off along with the cowl.

Got it all squared up and fried some parts together.

First off I finished up the sandblasting of the front end and epoxy primed.

IMG_20140803_163448473_zps2a57b5d3.jpg

Last part of the day I spent splitting my new cowl so I could paint inside to avoid future rust.

It was amazing how much bare metal there was once I spilt it open.

Glad I took the extra time to split it, there was already some very minor surface rust in areas.

Lastly I got the lower section of the cowl all melted in.

So this is where im at now.

IMG_20140815_172804314_HDR_zps3d172e79.jpg

It sure does feel good, still a lot to do but metal work is 95% done.

Ground down the plug welds on the cowl, epoxy primed and decided to shoot some single stage in there.

Car is going to be 2014 grabber blue so that's what I shot in there.

All the engine compartment will be shot with this too as I decided not to black it out.

IMG_20140816_141603643_zpse7ab2fd0.jpg

Edited by 70fastbak

Great stuff !! That should be a little bit of a motivator with getting a little color on her :thumbup1: I know you'll remove some for welding, but let us know how it went with the paint on. I do recall seeing some guys just us some epoxy adhesive of some kind to seal theirs up.

Great stuff !! That should be a little bit of a motivator with getting a little color on her :thumbup1: I know you'll remove some for welding, but let us know how it went with the paint on. I do recall seeing some guys just us some epoxy adhesive of some kind to seal theirs up.

Yea , I will pull tape from around the edges of both panels, probably reverse tape and spray weld thru primer on all edges.

Maybe if I can get my touch up gun in then once welded i will do that also but there really isn't much room.

Do you have anymore pictures of the firewall install and cowl.

I have lots of pics, lol.

Not exactly sure what you want to see but ill throw a few up.

Shoot me a messege if you need anything more specific.

IMG_20140718_205050356_HDR_zps83259a25.jpg

IMG_20140718_103823034_HDR_zps59077428.jpg

IMG_20140718_103805469_zps45df37f8.jpg

IMG_20140718_103946396_zps698ebe33.jpg

If your going to take on a job like this just be prepared for quite a bit of work.

Its a lot of putting panels on, taking measurements, removing them, making adjustments, putting them back on......and so on.

Take lots of diagonal measurements and square things up and don't forget to brace everything before you cut it all apart.

Not trying to put you off, if your just changing the firewall and cowl it shouldn't be too bad.

I got really deep and changed outer cowl panels, kick panels.

Figured its only going to happen once might as well get all the rust out of there.

Edited by 70fastbak

If your going to take on a job like this just be prepared for quite a bit of work.

Its a lot of putting panels on, taking measurements, removing them, making adjustments, putting them back on......and so on.

Take lots of diagonal measurements and square things up and don't forget to brace everything before you cut it all apart.

Not trying to put you off, if your just changing the firewall and cowl it shouldn't be too bad.

I got really deep and changed outer cowl panels, kick panels.

Figured its only going to happen once might as well get all the rust out of there.

Already past that. I replaced half what you did but in different sequence. I braced the body, replaced the passenger side jamb,kick panel lining it up to the original firewall. Left drivers jamb intact original. Now working on firewall/cowl. My under-hood is in great shape except for the radiator support so that helped with lining up complete section to firewall. The pictures helped me see if my firewall fit similar to yours. I found that the cowl needed to be separated into two pieces no matter if it had rust because of fit along the upper kick panel part left a gap that I was not going to body panel glue as some have.

I debated half way through it to just buy a new body. Time consuming process to replace these center panels.

Already past that. I replaced half what you did but in different sequence. I braced the body, replaced the passenger side jamb,kick panel lining it up to the original firewall. Left drivers jamb intact original. Now working on firewall/cowl. My under-hood is in great shape except for the radiator support so that helped with lining up complete section to firewall. The pictures helped me see if my firewall fit similar to yours. I found that the cowl needed to be separated into two pieces no matter if it had rust because of fit along the upper kick panel part left a gap that I was not going to body panel glue as some have.

I debated half way through it to just buy a new body. Time consuming process to replace these center panels.

It definitely is time consuming especially when one has a full time job also.

I saw that some guys used 3M panel bond on the kick panel lips, that wasn't going to cut it for me, one reason I wanted to split the new cowl.

Your in the same boat as me then, you got all the hard things accomplished.