Sign in to follow this  
Alan_Mac

How is admin going to get rid of the spam postings?

Unfortunately yes we're seeing it also. Pak probably doesn't have much spare time to reply here since the spam boy losers struck. I was going to cut and paste all their postings back to their email accounts until I realized that they would have my email. And I don't know how these spam dealies work anyway. I was going to mention a letter bomb until I remembered about the nsa. So I suppose I won't mention that option.

Bob

Does anyone have Paks or Bens email? I think I communicatred with Ben once when the site was donw over a domain DNS or registration issue. I would be glad to try to assist.

Also, I checked the human-filter registration and it fails. It only asks the user to type the name of the site so it's not dynamic. It doesn't change and could easily be scripted. I'm sure it could be fixed with an add-in or possibly a newer version of vBulletin that would have to be upgraded (the latter of which shouldnt be taken lightly.)

I will see if I can dig up either of their emails....this is really out of hand this morning...

Edited by miketyler

I will see what I can do in the next couple of days. I'm not a fan of the new vbulletin forum software. But not upgrading leaves us open to spam. There are a few tricks I will do later today to stop these particular spambots.

Meantime I'm trying to wipe them out each weekday morning as fast as I can. I did a mass delete yesterday of 30 or more bogus threads. It's the replies to existing threads that are tougher to single out.

Good to see ya Ben!

Well I see we have more new SPAM to digest this morning. How many new registrants do we see in a week? I wonder if we could just temporarily disable registration? Or possibly enlist the administrator review process during registration that many smaller sites use.

God, how I hate spammers....

Edited by miketyler

I know I've deleted several in the last week or so as well. Possibly time for an additional admin?

I would be willing to help since I am on here at least once or twice a day.

Thanks Ben - image verification is probably the industry standard and until they break it will be a tough one to beat. There are still some existing accounts to delete. I'll report the postings as I see them

Edited by miketyler