Sign in to follow this  
70fastbak

Manual steering

Guys that are running manual steering how do you find it?

When it comes time to put all my steering back in im thinking about ditching the power for manual....mistake ???

I will be putting a rack in it in the future (winter project) so it seems pointless to buy all new power steering parts to rip it out down the road.

Just curious what opinions are on manual.

When I switched to manual I bought the pitman arm, center link and idler arm for less than a manual drag link adapter:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Borgeson/153/990003/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710698163&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=1784158409&cadevice=c&gclid=CIS7raTu-r4CFeKXOgodVgQAmg

The original steering box can be used. The only difference in boxes is the ratio.

Bob

Edited by RPM

Is the only difference the control valve? Can you use the same center link? What about steering box?

Center link, pitman arm, and idler arm. Outer tierods differ between 69 and 70 so if you buy a used set, be sure you know which it is.

Thanks. Not to hijack this thread but i have a recently rebuilt pump and it whines quit a bit. My buddy says that is typical ford. I havent been able to drive the car so dont really have any feedback but it seems to work fine as I turn the wheels left to right. Its just loud. Is that typical? Non-borgeson unit.

The easy way to do it is to use the manual steering adapter where you remove the control valve and install the adapter on the drag link where the PS control valve was

If you shop around and look at eBay you can often find these for $100 new

You can use the power steering box. It will be harder to turn but has a faster ratio

The power inner and outer tie Ron ends should work on a manual car but not the other way around if I recall

Bob

What do,you need? I have some,of the parts

Bob

I will need everything to convert to manual.

I just took all my power steering components out, which I have everything of other than the power steering pump and hoses.

I prefer the cleaner look also of not having all the extra under the hood.

Plus I will need all the room I can for the 76mm turbonetics which is going in there somewhere.

The Power Steering Box is the same as the Quick-Ratio Manual Box as used on Mach 1, GT, & Boss 302.

The Quick-Ratio Manual Box did have a different part number than the P.S. box, but if you look at the specs they are identical. Possibly the different part number was because the pitman arm was different, but these swap out easily.

The benefit of a used PS box vs. a used original Quick Ratio MS box is the PS box never had to work hard, the PS did all the actual work.

Doug

Well I'll be the odd guy out, my car is manual steering and I hate it. If I was you I would keep the power steering even if you have to buy new stuff from chockostang or elsewhere. It is hard to steer, and with the rimblow wheel, slow speed turns are nearly impossible without inadvertently blowing the horn. If you ditch it, I would be interested in your complete PS setup.

Some of that play in the steering could be from the rag joint between the column and steering box. I bought a urethane joint but haven't fitted it yet. I have used a urethane joint on Aussie Falcons, which use the same set up as Mustangs and it took out all the play. All the steering components were new as well.

Thanks. Not to hijack this thread but i have a recently rebuilt pump and it whines quit a bit. My buddy says that is typical ford. I havent been able to drive the car so dont really have any feedback but it seems to work fine as I turn the wheels left to right. Its just loud. Is that typical? Non-borgeson unit.

My pump on my 89 5.0 was noisy as hell as well until I bled it. Basically just fill up the pump with fluid if not already and leave the cap off then turn the wheel from side to side to full lock over and over again (is easier to do with the front jacked up so the wheels are off the ground) this will force all the air out which is probably what's creating the noise.

My pump on my 89 5.0 was noisy as hell as well until I bled it. Basically just fill up the pump with fluid if not already and leave the cap off then turn the wheel from side to side to full lock over and over again (is easier to do with the front jacked up so the wheels are off the ground) this will force all the air out which is probably what's creating the noise.

Did this originally but I will try it again. Add it to my long list of to dos....

Thanks