Sign in to follow this  
69volunteer

TDC at Compression Stroke or Exhaust

I think I know the answer but would rather double check before I get too far.

How do I tell if #1 is at the top of the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke? Right now it is at 0 on the balancer. Is the only way to watch the valves to see which starts to open as I turn the crank clockwise? It will be on 0 on the balancer in both the compression and exhaust, right?

I had to pull the head and so the intake and distrib are currently out. I am trying to set the valve lash.

I saw an interesting video on summit that says to set the valve lash by taking #1 to TDC and setting the exhaust lash on 1,2,3,4 and intake on 1,5,7,8. Then rolling the motor over to #6 and setting the exhaust for 5,6,7,8 and the intake for 2,3,4,6? This is for a 351 firing order.

Remove the spark plug of #1

Put,your finger in the hole

Turn the engine by hand

As you are coming up on the compression stroke the pressure will be trying to blow your finger out of the hole.

Turn to TDC and you are there

Bob

I would not trust your timing mark unless you have a new balancer on it and know that it is accurate. I checked mine to fine tune my timing and using a piston stop and degree wheel my marks were about 10* off.

Simplest way is to partly cover the spark plug hole with you finger, spin the engine in the normal direction of rotation and wait for air to blow out. You can also use a compression guage and look for the pressure to increase.

From this point, using a small screwdriver, feel where the piston comes up, stops, and starts to go down. wiggle the crank back and forther until you find the "dead spot", this is TDC on the compression stroke.

At this point, adjust cylinder 1 valves, then, following the firing order of your engine, rotate the crank 90* and adjust the next cyl, rotate 90* and next cyl, etc. etc. until youre all done. (On a 4 stroke, 8 cyl engine, every 90* will put the next firing piston on TDC on the compression stroke)

OR, you can rotate the engine around and look for the intake valve to open, continue to rotate the engine until it closes. Once you are sure it closed all ther way you will be on the compression stroke. You can adjust the valves for that cyliner, then repeat for the others.

just look for a valve that is opening and adjust the mate for that cylinder (i.e. if the cylinder 6 exhaust is open quite a bit, then adjust cylinder 6 intake). simply mark off the valve when you have set the lash so you know which ones have been set.

Here's another easy way to check.

When your timing mark is on zero, take off the distributor cap and if the rotor is pointing to number 1 spark plug lead position then it is on TDC compression stroke.

If it is pointing in the opposite direction then it is on TDC exhaust stroke.

I dont have any help this weekend so it is crank the crankshaft from the top while I look at the lifters going up or down. Before I installed the head, my cylinder was at the top and my timing mark was on 0. Now that I have the head on and pushrods in, as I rotate the balancer 360 degrees, my intake lifter has come up and down.

So originally, I was on the exhaust stroke and now I am on the compression stroke.

Correct?

I dont have any help this weekend so it is crank the crankshaft from the top while I look at the lifters going up or down. Before I installed the head, my cylinder was at the top and my timing mark was on 0. Now that I have the head on and pushrods in, as I rotate the balancer 360 degrees, my intake lifter has come up and down.

So originally, I was on the exhaust stroke and now I am on the compression stroke.

Correct?

Yes as you rotated 360 degrees back to 0 degrees the compression stroke as just occurred as the piston was traveling up and the power stroke is about to happen when it goes back down.

Dave