Sign in to follow this  
bobh67

Headlights are flickering and on hi beam cut out

External voltage regulator New from CJ pony. I could just switch the regulator with others I have to see what happens then. What do you think?

New as in electronic style? using a high amp alt with this may be your problem. Try old point style reg and see.

I had an almost identical problem with my car after rewiring. I traced down every possible ground and problem I could think before someone told me that some manufacturers have been known to switch the wire colors on their parking lights. Since the headlights share the same ground with the parking lights and marker lights any problem with them translates to the headlights. I disconnected my parking lights and the flickering went away. All I did after that was reverse the common and hot wire on the parking lights and all was well. This would only really affect your situation if you are also using new parking lights as well as headlights. Just figured I’d offer the fix that worked for me.

Thanks for posting this, I was having the same issue with the high beams cutting out, I am running hella h4 euro conversion headlights. I'm glad you got that sorted out. As far as the flickering I cant help.

Check the dimmer switch. Your foot has more than likely worn out the wires that plug into it. I've had that problem on more than one old ford..

My experience is that it isn't the wires that get worn, but the dimmer switch itself doesn't do a good job of switching and can generate a ground plane for the incoming power line when it is severely worn.

I have been following this, and you have done a good job of answering all questions, and trying all possibilites. Do you have a good voltmeter? I am wondering if your voltage is dropping out at high engine revs. If your alternator is turning on and off rapidly, that could do it. Try disconnecting your alternator to remove it as a possibility. Start the car, and run it and the lights only from the battery. Then see if the lights flicker. Running with the alt disconnected should not hurt a thing, but it will discharge the battery, to don't do it long.

This is an easy test. If it is the alternator or regulator, your flickering will go away. If it stays, then we know the charging system is not the source of the problem.

I have been following this, and you have done a good job of answering all questions, and trying all possibilites. Do you have a good voltmeter? I am wondering if your voltage is dropping out at high engine revs. If your alternator is turning on and off rapidly, that could do it. Try disconnecting your alternator to remove it as a possibility. Start the car, and run it and the lights only from the battery. Then see if the lights flicker. Running with the alt disconnected should not hurt a thing, but it will discharge the battery, to don't do it long.

This is an easy test. If it is the alternator or regulator, your flickering will go away. If it stays, then we know the charging system is not the source of the problem.

Just don't disconnect the alternator while the car is running. Do it with everything off. Otherwise, you can blow the diodes in the alternator.