mauleta

Air conditioning

Hi, I need a little advise on this. My 69 Mach 1 is currently undergoing a restoration and the interior is completely gutted except for the lower dash. I'm looking at installing an aftermarket A/C system, since the car didn't originally come with it, so I have two questions. Is there a consensus as to which one to install, and, since they all require cutting the dash pad to install a center vent, wouldn't it be easier to just install a dash pad with the vent already cut out, since I'll have to replace the pad anyway? I'd hate to ruin a new dash pad that someone else could be using, plus it cuts down on the chance the I might make a reasonably expensive mistake.

Thanks -

Mike

Mike, I would do the following:

1. Buy a Vintage Air Gen IV kit for a factory AC car. It's a great kit, I have one and can speak from experience.

2. Buy a factory lower dash from an AC car with the vents (very common - Cougars had them as well). Make sure it is from a 1969 as the 1970 one is different. Also pick up an AC center vent from ebay or another source (or get a 1969-1970 Cougar AC vent which is similar).

3. While you're in there, two boxes of Dynamat extreme and a layer of Reflectix from Lowes on top of it. Will seal up the misc holes in the dash and help keep the inside cooler from engine / trans / exhaust heat.

4. Enjoy the cold air experience of a modern car with the look of a factory installed system.

If you buy the vintage air kit for non ac cars it comes with templates so you can cut your lower dash to fit the a vents it will also cone with vents but they don't look like the factory ones. If you want the factory look you can still use the stock vents and then sell the ones from the vintage kit. Thats what I am doing.

That was my thought, but I called Vintage Air and the sales person tried to discourage me from the idea. They stated it was basically mixing apples & oranges and there are templates in the manual for the vent cutouts. I'm also curious about the center vent size. The factory one appears to be much larger than the one that comes in the kit. I can't be sure because I don't have one yet. I also like the look of the center factory vent over the aftermarket ones. I realize there would need to be some fabrication to get the round tubes in the kit to match the rectangular factory vent, but it shouldn't be anything too terrible.

I just did this but I used an OLD AIR kit and while I think they all probably have tweaks, I wouldnt recommend them.

(1) the cougar and mustang center vents are different. Cougar vent will not fit in a mustang dash pad.

(2) the vents supplied in all the kits are plastic and do not look the same. I bought a lower 69 dash with decent side vents for a reasonable price. Restoring the side vents is pretty easy although if you want the true chrome edge on the ball, you will need to send that off. The back side of mine were in good shape and so I just flipped them over and replaced the felt. There is a thread on here about how to do this.

(3) the 69-70 mustang center vent is pretty pricey and you have to look hard for a decent one.

I know Classic Air sells a coupling that allows you to use your original side and center vents with their flexible ducting. Look on their website. I actually made a fiberglass coupling using the side vents and center vent as the basis. It actually turned out pretty good. I can find pics if you want.

I also bought a Ford tooling A/C dash pad.

Just my opinion, but the factory air is the preferred option if you can get it.

None of the after market kits utilise fresh air intake on their systems, they blank off the factory air intake and rely on circulating the air trapped in the cabin.

Probably not a deal breaker, but the factory set up is a better option.

Do you think it's better to use outside air with the A/C or cabin air? The newer cars give you the option and I almost always have it on recirculating cabin air. My thinking is it's better to make the already cool air colder than it is to try and cool down the hot, humid outside air.