Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Electrical issue on startup

Anyone have this problem.....

Car will crank over with the key but as soon as you release the key on startup, the engine dies. I can get it started by jumping it at the starter solenoid and then use the key to shut it off. Not sure if it is a grounding issue. Ignition switch tested good and for the heck of it had it replaced with another known good one but did not fix problem.

thx

This happened to me when I first bought my 66. I traced it to a bad connection at the starter itself, which drew so much current from the battery (lowered the voltage as well) due to the bad connection that the battery could not recover in time once the starter was released. When the starter is released, the power to the coil is now controlled by the ignition switch and the pink resistor wire, so if the battery is low due to the starter, there's not enough voltage at the coil to keep the engine running.

Make sure you have the 2 small wire on the solenoid is the correct location, not swapped. Red should be the closest to the front & brown to the rear.

Edited by jmlay

There is a 2 wire connector on the back of the tach, that connects it to the hood wiring assembly. Put a jumper clip from one side to the other on the end of this connector that goes to the engine. If it starts and runs, then you have a bad coil in the tach. I am thinking the tach could be repaired, I am wondering if I could do it? It is just a coil of wire, and I have the wire. I might take a better look at mine.