Sign in to follow this  
Super Birthday Snake

Aftermarket Gauges

What with all the hassles I'm having with my circuit board and gauges in general, I might have to bite the bullet and get aftermarket ones.

Can anyone recommend some? I don't want to pay a lot so the cheaper the better. is it 2 1/16" and 3 3/8" ones I need

I need:

Fuel

Engine Temp

Speedo

Tach.

Thanks

Stay away from New Vintage Gauges. Go with Dakota Digital. They make some real nice looking analog gauges.

Will check them out, thanks.

What sort of problems are you having with your stock gauges? They are relatively fool proof and I think look great.

Tach is dead, fuel gauge doesn't work, temp gauge doesn't work and now all the lights have went out. Thread here

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=15527

I'm pretty sure it's just the printed circuit that's causing it but it's brand new and I've heard a lot about the problems with them. I'm in the UK and it's just not feasible for me to keep paying for shipping to send back faulty circuits to then possibly just get another faulty one. I figured it would be easier just to get something aftermarket and wire them in directly.

I almost installed the JME cluster back a couple of years ago. But as I remember JME didn't have a bezel for a 70, it wasn't exactly plug and play (needed an extra wire harness). I opted to go with a OEM tach dash setup and then add autometer temp and pressure gauges in a Shelby center console pod. My OEM tach works great with VDO internals. Today an OEM tach gauge set is so expensive to buy and fix, the JME looks like a great alternative for a little more $$.

Will check them out, thanks.

Tach is dead, fuel gauge doesn't work, temp gauge doesn't work and now all the lights have went out. Thread here

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=15527

I'm pretty sure it's just the printed circuit that's causing it but it's brand new and I've heard a lot about the problems with them. I'm in the UK and it's just not feasible for me to keep paying for shipping to send back faulty circuits to then possibly just get another faulty one. I figured it would be easier just to get something aftermarket and wire them in directly.

I can hard-wire the 69 and 70 dash clusters with a disconnect plug like 1967/1968 clusters, but to do so requires you to send me your cluster. From overseas, that's rather expensive. I do not like those printed circuit cards, and I know of at least 6 customers of mine who had to buy multiple versions before finding one that worked.

There is a thread here

http://web.archive.org/web/20091026223135/geocities.com/kvinkler/gauges/page_01.htm

gaugefull4_zps60581010.jpg

where a member switched to Auto Meter gauges. Pretty reasonable price too.

Bob

That's excellent, really helpful to see that from the back. Didn't know I'd need to make separate brackets up to fit them either.

I can hard-wire the 69 and 70 dash clusters with a disconnect plug like 1967/1968 clusters, but to do so requires you to send me your cluster. From overseas, that's rather expensive. I do not like those printed circuit cards, and I know of at least 6 customers of mine who had to buy multiple versions before finding one that worked.

That would be ideal but unfortunately it would just be too expensive. Heard nothing but good things about your work.

Mustangs to Fear had taken the Year One panel and improved it substantially. You can install two 5 inch and four 2 5/8 Autometer gauges in this panel. I saw it up close at the 50th in Charlotte and like it much better than my standard Year One panel.

Edited by chillininnh

Most people just drill a small hole in the cluster housing and install a simple LED for turn signals and high beam.

If you are on a budget, you can get Autometer Ultra Lite, Phantoms, or Sport Comp gauges used on ebay for a reasonable price.

Most people just drill a small hole in the cluster housing and install a simple LED for turn signals and high beam.

If you are on a budget, you can get Autometer Ultra Lite, Phantoms, or Sport Comp gauges used on ebay for a reasonable price.

Thanks for that, will check out ebay for used gauges :)