KipDurran

Parking brake brake warning light

I have a parking brake warning light installed on the left of my steering column between the column and the headlight switch. The light works but it is missing the lens and just shines white light in my face.

I think it is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-70-1969-1970-mach-1-mustang-boss-shelby-parking-brake-warning-light-/281324464930?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41803eab22&vxp=mtr

I do not wish to pay that amount of money for this. A reproduction would be fine but all I can find is the Scott Drake product which is something different altogether.

I also suspect that Ford may have used this same light on other models.

Does anyone know a cheaper source for this?

Thanks,

Steve

Reproductions of the original type are not made. Your pretty much locked into an original. Might look under Cougar or Torino to see if they had them but you'll still pretty much pay for them.

Randy at Midlife Harness Restorations could steer you in the right direction

I have a parking brake warning light installed on the left of my steering column between the column and the headlight switch.

Shouldn't the light be installed to the right of the steering column, like this?

57043d1229546631-how-rare-1969-mustang-gt-1969-shelby-dashboard.jpg

My '70 has the park and belt lights in the same place as above. Is the hole in your dash round with a little slot? Hard to explain but that's what mine look like without the light assembly in it. A round hole with one small extra notch cut out around the circle. Yours may have the same if it's a factory install. Possibly since your car only has the park light, they mounted it on the lh side?

That what I have seen in others, but mine is to the left, between the headlight switch and the steering column.

I wonder if it was added by a PO? Now might be a good time to relocate it to the proper spot.

I thought the "Park" and "Belts" light were mostly found on 69's? I added the park light to my 70 Mach w/tach and planned on adding "Belts" light but was on fence after thinking it was a 69 only option for tach cars.

Did some 70 Machs with tach have both these indicator lights?

I thought the "Park" and "Belts" light were mostly found on 69's? I added the park light to my 70 Mach w/tach and planned on adding "Belts" light but was on fence after thinking it was a 69 only option for tach cars.

Did some 70 Machs with tach have both these indicator lights?

Mike, my '70 was ordered with the tach, convenience group, and deluxe seat belts. It has both of the lights. The "Belts" light comes on when you start the car and goes off after a few seconds.

Cool - I have the harness with time delay relay and light for the standard dash but I wasn't sure if I wanted to put it in. The light fixtures are hard to find and pricey when you find them. One seller on eBay was asking $399 for the same fixture

I have not taken the light out of the dash to look at the shape of the slot.

I too have wondered whether this was added by a PO, or even the dealer.

I am hesitant to relocate it as it would leave a hole in the dash.

Hopefully the re-pop cover will fit.

I have not taken the light out of the dash to look at the shape of the slot.

I too have wondered whether this was added by a PO, or even the dealer.

I am hesitant to relocate it as it would leave a hole in the dash.

Hopefully the re-pop cover will fit.

I have a spare lower dash unit that has the hole about the size for that light on the left side but it is on the left side of the headlight switch so this could have been maybe a dealer add on I don't know for sure though.

Dave

That fixture looks questionable to me. I assumed that both "Park" and "Belts" light fixtures looked the same. Could be wrong - maybe someone has a backside shot with both installed?

I'm with Mike. That doesn't look anything like the park light in my car.

It always annoyed me that the parking brake didn't have a light so I designed a simple little circuit with two DPDT relays and a chime to take care of that.

It will chime 1) If you leave the head lights on and open the drivers door or 2) if EM brake is on and the ignition is on. Also turns on a light, 3) if the dual brake switch is triggered.

Since none of this stuff is visible it could look stock with the possible exception of the light. I intend to use the "check brake" light in the Dakota Digital gauges, but you could use the one in the stock cluster for the dual brake switch.