Sign in to follow this  
moodster

70 Bolt-In Glass

I tried installing a 70 bolt-in window in my mustang this weekend however the very bottom of the window is curved wrong (see pics). Has anybody else experienced this? What are the odds a manufacturer would incorrectly curve the last 2-3 inches on only one window?

david

passenger side... as the picture shows there is a 3/8" inch gap which doesn't sound like much but when you put the window in you'll never get the door closed because a 3/8" gap at the bottom results in a couple of inches at the top

david

passenger side... as the picture shows there is a 3/8" inch gap which doesn't sound like much but when you put the window in you'll never get the door closed because a 3/8" gap at the bottom results in a couple of inches at the top

david

Anything is possible in repo parts. I replaced both of my windows with 70 bolt in because I didn't get any door windows with my car so I had to buy all new stuff anyway. The drivers side was OK but the passenger side actually had a dip in the middle . Which when rolled up would leave a gap between the window and beltline. They did however replace it and told me to keep the defected one which tells me they are having some problems with some of them or they would have wanted the old one back, they never questioned the complaint at all just sent me a new one. It was a Dynacorn.

That being said I also had to gently change the shape of the 69 guide rails that came with the car, but I don't know if this was only necessary for the 70 glass or it would have had to be done with the 69 style glass too because I did not have the original glass to compare. I assume you know that there is adjustment at the bottom of the guide rails but I don't know if this would help your situation or not. The bottom of the rail there is a foot part that is slotted and the bolt is under the bottom of the door, again

you probably already know this but if you haven't tried this adjustment you may want to. If all else fails contact your supplier they may send you another one as they did for me.

Dave

Edited by det0326

Wow, I just wouldn't have thought the curvature of the glass would be off. I didn't change the guides any but my old window worked just fine. The adjustments can't correct the issue. I was almost able to get the window to meet at the top but that caused the window to bind against the regulator at the bottom and the felt weatherstrip on the outside was crushed when the door closed.

My driver's side window busted a while back and I figured since I had the plates and was going to need to replace the regulator I might as well change the window. I would be super happy if NPD would send me a new window and not make me ship the old one back... packaging and shipping windows is a bear and what if I get another one with the same issue?

david

Wow, I just wouldn't have thought the curvature of the glass would be off. I didn't change the guides any but my old window worked just fine. The adjustments can't correct the issue. I was almost able to get the window to meet at the top but that caused the window to bind against the regulator at the bottom and the felt weatherstrip on the outside was crushed when the door closed.

My driver's side window busted a while back and I figured since I had the plates and was going to need to replace the regulator I might as well change the window. I would be super happy if NPD would send me a new window and not make me ship the old one back... packaging and shipping windows is a bear and what if I get another one with the same issue?

david

Is the regulator a 69 or 70? The 69 has an offset that the 70 doesn't have that will in some cases will cause it to hit the spring and tab about half way down. Even with the 70 regulators in mine I had to bend the arm a little to keep it from hitting on mine. Most of the time they will send you a return request, all you have to do is box it back up and UPS will come and pick it up.

Dave

Edited by det0326

The regulator is new - it's a 70. I was *almost* able to get the door to close but I had to take the bolt out of the bottom guide to let the window slide to the outside further. If you leave the guide there then when the window rolls down it will bind. Again this isn't a solution just what I tried to do to make it work. There are other adjustments that affect the window in the opposite plane but the guides locate how snug the window is against your weatherstripping.

david

Yes, I had everything you see in that picture on your link. The steel brackets that bolt to the bottom along with their rubber isolators I had from when I did the driver's side window conversion. I had no problems with the driver's side conversion.... I even put all of the adjustment bolts back in their original position and the window hits the weatherstripping beautifully. For me I believe the passenger side window is curved incorrectly where the steel brackets and C-channels are sandwiched together. I read numerous other posts that I searched for on the web and I was surprised how many threads I came across with others having trouble converting and there being no solution... so I'm curious if this problem is more widespread. Also I wanted this thread to be there for when others searched... so that they'll check the glass before going through all of the trouble I did.

david

I purchased and installed repro door glass on my '70. One side(drivers) fit excellent the other one was terrible. The curvature was different than the other side ever so slightly.It was impossible to adjust to fit. I won't name where I got it as they did make it right for me, but it was such a pain on a fresh painted car to install ,take out and reinstall without chipping paint.

In my case when they replaced the driver side window they asked me to give them a number off the glass because they said that they have different glass manufactures and didn't want to send me another one from the same manufacture because it may have the same problem. So they did send another one I don't know if it was from another manufacturer or not but it did fit like a glove.

Dave

Awesome, that is great to hear... that they would source from a different manufacturer to resolve the issue... I hadn't thought that they could/would do that. I'll wait to hear something back from my supplier.

david

I am already part way down this road. I have '70 bolt in glass to be put into my '69 Mach I.

I am pretty sure the regulators are '70 if I can trust the used parts seller. I've been collecting parts since the parts I took off the car went missing (long story). I wish there was a good video about building (populating) a door shell and doing this upgrade. I am wondering if I need to put the chrome strip on the back edge of the window like the '69 had, or if the '70 glass does not require that strip any more. Someone mentioned an offset in the regulators. What other differences do I need to keep my eyes out for?? How can one spot the differences between parts like the regulators??

Isn't this fun??

Yes you need the 69 only chrome strip on the back edge of the glass for the 70 bolt-in windows. I wouldn't worry too much about the regulators at first... you can get the windows in just fine with the 69 regulators however rolling them up and down is where you get binding issues. For me the problem turned out to be the curvature of the glass. I ended up with the 70 bolt-in glass only on the driver's side. I had to switch back to my original 69 glass on the passenger's side. The curvature of the glass on the passenger's side did not match my original 69 glass and luckily my passenger glass was okay unlike my driver's side which shattered when the door closed. The supplier in my case matched the glass they shipped me to a piece they used for reference and said that it matched perfectly. I couldn't really argue but I don't see how that was possible given my experience.

david

It looks like you are comparing the position of a glue in bracket to the curve of bolt in glass?

Has the glue in bracket been changes? Reglued?

You will need to adjust the window track position at the bottom of the door. It is slotted for adjustment

Bob

Correct, I compared my OEM passenger side glue-in glass bracket to the curvature of the 70 bolt-in glass. My passenger side glue-in glass had never been changed or re-glued. In fact I gave up and put it back as is. When I changed the driver side, I put the new 70 bolt-in glass in with no problems... I figured the passenger side would be just as easy but of course that didn't happen.

david

One problem with the glue in glass is that if it has ever been reglued then it will generally not be in the correct position. If the bolt in glass is original ford I would trust that more for correct curve.

Put it in and adjust the window tracks

Bob

Actually i ran into the same problem with the drivers side glass. Changed out the regulators/brkts etc to a 70 and tried to install new glass just in that door as it was busted.

I initially thought the regulators were causing it as there is a slight offset in one of the arms from 69-70. Having said that i then installed the 70 regulator and same thing . It was like the window was bowed inwards and would hit the weatherstrip at the top long before the door would close.

I fought with the adjustment of the sliders at the bottom of the door but they could not be pulled inwards far enough to bring the top of the door out.

I contacted my supplier who contacted the window company. Now...this is the response they gave:

They agreed that there is no doubt a problem with the window once they learned of what i had tried.

They also advised that the first 7-10 windows of the run of that glass are used as 'test' pilots while they are setting up the equipment to pump them out. These 7-10 are then destroyed and number 11 and so on is ready to be shipped out to vendors. Unfortunately, according to them, i must have gotten one of those samples.

I was advised to destroy it and a new one arrived in a few days.

I'd go that route if you've exhausted all other attempts to fit that glass and i know it can be time consuming and totally frustrating.

The supplier of the glass didn't hesitate so i don't think i was the first to complain.

Hope this helps....John

Wow that makes three people in this thread who have experienced problems with the passenger's side glass not fitting correctly. Hopefully this will help somebody else out there... I installed/uninstalled the passenger's side glass three times before I decided to try a contour gauge.

david