Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Strut rod repair

One of my strut rods has the bolt holes where it attaches to the lower control arm enlarged a very tiny amount. Has anyone done a repair on these by welding it up and redrilling the hole?

Its a drop forging so there is no reason I can see why you could not weld it up and re-do the hole.

Let me caution you on this. Once you weld it, you can in no way re-drill it with a common drill or drill bit. The part will have to be put in a milling machine and plunge an undersized end mill through the welded hole and finish it off with a reamer to get the proper hole diameter and fit you are looking for. You will also need to use the mill in order to get the proper hole spacing.

Unless you have access to a machine shop and are cable of performing these steps yourself, I am thinking you could by a replacement for less money than paying someone to do the repair.

The strut rods are under lots of stress. I would not weld on them and risk any kind of embrittlement that can be caused by welding on them. Just hold both the bolt and the nut and tighten them up

Bob

OK. The bolt going through the strut rod and then through the control arm is designed to take up the slack. It, the bolt, is ' swedged ' just below the bolt head and is designed to be pulled down tight when the lower castle nut is snugged up. A " enlarged a very tiny amount " is a design feature and why those bolts are so expensive. Brian

The bolts here are a press-fit type. I still have the original bolts on my mustang. I bought new struts and LCAs and in all four places (2 on each strut) the bolt is still snug when pulled down into the strut rod for tightening. If you are experiencing "play" in this joint when the head of the bolt is down against the strut, I would buy a new strut (and perhaps new bolts).

I can't say for sure that welding would embrittle the rod, but it could, and I do agree these see huge shock loads from driving (particularly pot-holes) and I probably wouldn't risk it. If the strut breaks, you can lose steering control and thus control of the car - thats a big failure to risk considering the consequences.

If I was going to weld on it, I would consider tac-welding the bolt head to the strut, that way, that bolt shouldn't move relative to the strut under shock loads.

Just my personal thoughts…

Jay

BTW- Boomer Sooner. OU class of 87. :)

Edited by JayEstes

I looked at the repro ones and they aren't really the same. The end isn't threaded the originals are.

Interesting

Looked at Mustangsunlimited and Kentuckymustangs and the ones they have are threaded. Where did you see the ones that weren't?

Dave