Sign in to follow this  
Kris

cowl vent and fresh air vent delete

Has anyone here done a cowl vent delete? I am going with a vintage air setup and it does not use the hole for the air inlet in the cowl and comes with a plug for it. I was considering cutting out the cowl vent and welding in a solid piece in its place to help keep water out since it won't be used for anything anyways. I hate the look of the cowl vent covers so I won't go that route. I would probably delete the fresh air vents also and build some new kick panels and use the existing holes for speaker holes or something as I don't like the look of the speakers in the doors either. If anyone has done this, pictures would be great. I want to see how it will look before I start cutting up my good original parts. Thanks

I have no pictures but I welded a flat sheet metal plate across the area where the standpipe used to be but I left the cowl vent as it was stock and installed a vintage air heat and cool under the dash. I did leave the side fresh air vents operational.

The kits come with a thin metal piece that you basically apply a calk of some type to and screw the little plate down..voila your done...

Dont know if this is the best route but i would think it would be fine if you caulk it up nice....maybe use some of that good stuff that goes around the rear window gasket...and I don't mean that cheap ass glazing crap.

So... I guess Vintage Air now makes a unit for the 69? Haven't checked in a few years, but last I checked 68 was the newest year.

Well, just checked for myself. Great, mas dinero.

Bob

Edited by RPM