Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

How do you stop the front from twisting?

I've finally been driving the car and everytime I get on it the whole front left twist up pretty high. It's high enough that it blocks the road. Do I need to change the shocks or springs? Both are pretty old.

I shouldn't have that much torque, its a 289, 512 lift cam, 570 cfm Avenger, 4 spd top loader (wide ratio) and 3:50's in the rear.

After I reach 2000 the car really start to come alive.

This is how it sits today.

IMG_8251_zps85416f0b.jpg

Your front sits pretty high parked. I'd start by cutting half a coil till you don't have the space between the top of the tire, and the apex of the wheel opening. Shocks dampen the quick rise and fall of the springs. Yours may be worn out. If you think they need replaced or can't remember the last time you replaced them, or you haven't replaced them since you bought the car, I'd replace them. Shocks need replacing if they're leaking, or they keep bouncing.

Nice looking car btw.

Bob

The shocks came with the car. IIRC, I think the PO was in the process of putting in a 390 and gave up, maybe he installed big block springs. I too think the front sits rather high.

What would be a good, fairly priced shock.

Could I just cut the coils off or should I replace. Replace with 620????

If I cut the coil a 1/2 at a time. what is that in inches?

Thank you all for your time and help!

The shocks came with the car. IIRC, I think the PO was in the process of putting in a 390 and gave up, maybe he installed big block springs. I too think the front sits rather high.

What would be a good, fairly priced shock.

Could I just cut the coils off or should I replace. Replace with 620????

If I cut the coil a 1/2 at a time. what is that in inches?

Don't know what to tell you about that except x2 on what Brian said.

The little 289's has more spunk than one may think. Owned a couple of them myself. Really like your car I am leaning toward that same color.

Nice.

I agree, it almost has that "gasser" look. LOL

Did you have the front end apart? You might first check to be sure the springs are seated in the shock tower. If they are off and not centered in the insulator, that could give you some added lift that you seeing.

Has your car been in a wreck? Check measurements side to side, fore and aft. Refer to a manual if need be, sounds as if it was tweaked in a fender bender. Go to an alignment shop to verify the frame is straight. Check your tires for abnormal tire wear.

A 40 year old car probably has had a few alignment issues. Verify.

Pretty Cool, I like it!

No, no wreck, just came back form the bodyshop all panels have been replaced.

When I push down on the front end it is rather stiff, such as the feeling from stiff springs. From what others sugested here, I tend to think it's the shocks, I would guess they are old and I have ignored that part of the project. I'll look for a decent pair of shocks.

Any suggestions?

Now that would be a sweet ride. I'll bet it could lift the left front off the ground.

Not too high. It had wheelie bars,

droppedImage.jpg

For those of you that don't know, that's Ohio George Montgomery and the 1967 Malco Gasser Mustang. Check out his 1969 twin turbo Boss 429 powered Mustang. Both cars were works of art.

Edited by maxum96

Not too high. It had wheelie bars,

droppedImage.jpg

For those of you that don't know, that's Ohio George Montgomery and the 1967 Malco Gasser Mustang. Check out his 1969 twin turbo Boss 429 powered Mustang. Both cars were works of art.

Big tires and wheelie bars and for old women and little girls :wheelchair:

He said that he thinks the PO was in the process of putting in a 390. Sounds like the coil springs are too beefy for the 289.

I do have the Monte Carlo Bar and the stock fire wall braces.

I noticed yesterday that when I get on it, besides the front twisting, the shaker scoop also lifts up about 3" from the the left and I have the heavy duty motor mounts.

Is it best to order new springs or cut the coil.

What would be a good spring rate?

While they may look fine, it is moving way too much.

Open the hood, set the parking brake and let the clutch out and watch the engine. Does it rise? yes the center bolt has come loose from the rubber. The driver side mount needs to be replaced before you bend the shaker next time you really romp on it.

There is a center conecting bolt in the rubber mount. The rubber will look good from the sides but if it has seperated from the rubber it will allow the engine to lift.

Yea been out to the property for a few weeks getting pads cut in for the home site.

Will post up a few pic's of the new (temp) garage for the Mach1 later.

She has her own home for now, A 22' enclosed trailer.

And I said she would never be a trailer queen.....Lol