Sign in to follow this  
69mi

Engine oil and zinc additive

Make sure you use a oil specially made for breaking in a flat tappet cam. It will be high in zinc, and low in detergent. Run that for the 1st 100 miles after the 20-30 break in. Then change it out and replace with the same stuff for the next 500 miles.

After that, you can either go with a "hot rod oil" that has the zinc in it, or use conventional oil and add a zinc additive. Edelbrock, Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs, Royal Purple, etc. all make oils now that are for older cars with flat tappet cams. I use conventional Castrol 10W-30 with a bottle of ZDDP.

If you try to go with regular oil or synthetic oil with a flat tappet cam and don't use a zinc additive, you are putting your cam and lifters at risk in my opinion.

I use Shell Rotella 15W40 oil in my '70 Mach. Lot of zinc (1200 ppm) still in it. It's cheap and I change it every 3K miles. I don't race or try to get the last ounce of hp out of the motor but have fun and enjoy spirited driving at times. :devil2: