Sign in to follow this  
TonyV8

Which spindles?...help

I currently have a Granada front disc bake set up on my '69 Mustang (this was on the car when i bought it) but I have just purchased a Wilwood front brake kit to replace this. I presume the spindles will need changing to standard disc/drum spindles which is what the Wilwood disc kit is expecting as I think the spindles are different when you fit the Granada set up?

Wow! Thanks for the fast response much appreciated. so as the Granda spindles are no good then according to Wilwood I can user disc front spindles with one of the threads re taped with a different thread. I'm based in the UK so selection of spindles is limited as need to find someone who will post to the UK at a reasonable price.

Even if you can use the disc spindles you will still need to replace the outer tie rods. The taper on the tie rods is different from the Granada to the Mustang. You should be able to source a new set of outer tie rods no problem, even in the UK.

Did you get the zero offset Wilwood kit? A few years back before they released the zero offset kit, I ordered a kit from them then discovered that it would increase the offset by 3/4" on both sides. As I already had larger wheels and tires I ended up having to send the kit back.

With my Torino I opted to go for a factory style front power disc brake conversion. Real impressed with how well it works, it was super easy to do and only cost me about $500 US.

With my Torino I opted to go for a factory style front power disc brake conversion. Real impressed with how well it works, it was super easy to do and only cost me about $500 US.

Big Secz,

Who did you get your factory style front power disc brake conversion from?.

Mike.

Big Secz,

Who did you get your factory style front power disc brake conversion from?.

Mike.

Mike,

I found a set of '70 spindles on eBay, then I ordered the power brake booster and master cylinder from O'Reily, a member on the Torino Forum gave me the the booster bracket and then I ordered the complete rebuild kit and new proportioning valve from Chockostang. Then it's a matter of rebending and reflaring the front brake lines at the wheel.

I currently have a Granada front disc bake set up on my '69 Mustang (this was on the car when i bought it) but I have just purchased a Wilwood front brake kit to replace this. I presume the spindles will need changing to standard disc/drum spindles which is what the Wilwood disc kit is expecting as I think the spindles are different when you fit the Granada set up?

Tony

Just wondering why you are changing from Granada disk brakes, cause I was thinking about trying to find a Granada set up for my 69 but if there is a problem with Granada disk brakes then I will go another route.

Thanks for any input.

Dave

Mike,

I found a set of '70 spindles on eBay, then I ordered the power brake booster and master cylinder from O'Reily, a member on the Torino Forum gave me the the booster bracket and then I ordered the complete rebuild kit and new proportioning valve from Chockostang. Then it's a matter of rebending and reflaring the front brake lines at the wheel.

Thanks for the info.

Mike.

Hi Dave,

Reading a few posts on the Forum quite a few people run the Granada set up but I did not like the way the piston on the caliper does not sit 100% behind the pad see picture below. This set up was on the car when I bought it. Have to say the front brakes are OK but I'm sure the Wilwood kit is going to be better. You would not believe how close everyone drives to each other in the UK!!

DSC00052_zpsd3009c49.jpg

tony i fitted drum brake spindles for a 68 mustang on my 69 with the wilwood conversion,it will be much cheaper to get the drum brake spindles someone in the u.k will have a set lying around.

Hi Javed,

Doh! I've just sourced some spindles from the US. There do not seem to be that many for sale, but mine cost me $175 for the pair which does not seem too bad.

Tony

Did you get the zero offset Wilwood kit? A few years back before they released the zero offset kit, I ordered a kit from them then discovered that it would increase the offset by 3/4" on both sides. As I already had larger wheels and tires I ended up having to send the kit back.

I was not aware of a Zero offset kit this is the one I purchased

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220736707827?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

There is no mention of the kit widening the track by 3/4 inch, but I'm running Torq-Thrust 2 15x7 inch wheels and the car has not been lowered so I have a some room to play with, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hi Javed,

Doh! I've just sourced some spindles from the US. There do not seem to be that many for sale, but mine cost me $175 for the pair which does not seem too bad.

Tony

Wish I had talked to you before you bought spindles, I had a pair of drum spindles I would have traded for the Granada set up plus boot of course.

Edited by det0326

Man whats wrong with the granada set up?

I bought one of the new kits and it fits nice, and I have no doubt that if it will stop a granada it will stop our cars...MAy wanna upgrade to some Carbon/ceramic pads, that will help brake fade and stopping distance.

Man whats wrong with the granada set up?

I bought one of the new kits and it fits nice, and I have no doubt that if it will stop a granada it will stop our cars...MAy wanna upgrade to some Carbon/ceramic pads, that will help brake fade and stopping distance.

I thins it's me. I just cannot get my head around the fact that part of the piston does not sit behind the pad which just seems wrong to me and I know NOT getting my head round this is costing me $$$ but I like the look and the overall quality of the Wilwood set up so I'm sure I am going to have a great set of brakes.

yeah the Wilwoods will do you better than the Granads's Im sure of it, the granada stuff is OLD school, and hey man at least your thinking about the stuff logically and choosing what YOU think is the best place to spend your money.

I saw the same thing when I installed my Granada Kit, then I remembered doing a few brake jobs on the old Granada's and remembered the pad wear was always as it should have been....Just dont make any sense why this design was used where a portion of the caliper piston is not in contact with the pad....

It would seem that it would cause a side loading issue...

I just put Wilwoods on my car. I went through a whole fiasco with brake fitment, spindle size, and the tie rods. TCP offers the 1970 spindle with the granada tie rod size holes in it. It's a hybrid spindle and really is a nice piece. If you want me to post up some pics let me know.

Also note, that with the spindles the 1969 and 1970 cars have different size spindles. The 1970 spindles are thicker and you will require a different wilwood brake hub and inner as well as outer bearing for the 1969 brake kit from wilwood. I am not sure where you obtained your 69 wilwood brake kit from but trust me when I say it is easier to return the kit and purchase the one for the 1970 mustang. If you are going with the TCP spindles.

Then again this is all relative, perhaps you don't intend to drive the vehicle very hard and these spindles are overkill. The link below is the page to the spindles, it looks like the price actually just increased recently. :blink:

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/spindle.html

Hi,

I have purchased some 69 mustang disc spindles which means the mounting holes need re-drilling and tapping for the bolts in the Wilwood kit and I know they are not as strong but I'm running a mild engine and it's more for cruising around in an enjoying rather than racing. I got that out of my system doing trackdays in a Caterham 7 which had a power to weight ration of nearly 500bhp per ton so it was quick!

<a href=DSC_0043_zps9c86d8ff.jpg' alt='DSC_0043_