Sign in to follow this  
Machspeed

Hydraulic Press Question

I need a press....have needed one for a long time. I thought about building one, but cost of materials and time needed to build makes a Harbor Freight or Northern Tools Press look good. The biggest thing I'll likely need this press for is pushing axle bearings. What is the minimum size press, in tonage, for this job?

When I worked in a parts store long ago ... We used a 20ton for everything from u joints to axel bearings...I like the cheap price of harbor freight but I like the height of a industral press....Im looking on craigslist now for a good old shop press with arbors now...

The Harbor freight press works just fine "the cheap orange one?

Think its 10 or 20 ton.

I have used mine for pressing axle bearings, U joints, smashing metal pieces etc....

Same here--I stow the jack and use it in the side yard to hang and paint parts from. Had it about 5 years. Works fine for u-joints, bushings, etc.

Yes, I have the Harbour Freight 20ton orange press and it works great. Except for the 20 ton bottle jack. It leaks like a coffee filter so it needs fluid each time I use it which isn't to often. But it never rusts sitting in the barn all winter every winter!!!!! B.

My buddy has the harbor freight press also and he replaced the jack with the air over hydraulic jack from hf also to make it faster and more like a high end shop press. Works great.

Hey thanks......checked out the Harbor Freight 20 Ton yesterday and will likely go with it. It appears they make two now, the old orange one and a new silver colored model. The respective item numbers are 32879 vs. 60603. The 60603 (silver model) is replacing the old orange model #32879. They did not have the newer replacement model when I went to look. I'm curious as to which one is the better press. The orange model appears to be welded, while the silver, newer model, is bolted together. Attempted to find a link on this subject but came up only with the following:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197534

Here's a link to the Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=hydraulic+press

Thoughts?

For once I like the newer version better. Bolted at the top, added leg braces at the bottom, springs spaced out further, straps around the ends of the work surface channels, and they finally got rid of that god awful orange paint!

BTW, be sure to upgrade the arbor plates. The ones that come with it are grenades waiting to explode!