Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Should I buy the 429

I know of a person, who is selling GT Torino with a SCJ 429, I don't know if the motor is original to the car but he said the car is a J code. I asked how much just for the motor and he said $7000. I replied and said it was too much if it needed to be rebuilt. He said it is rebulit Since then I have not gotten back to him, he has left 2 messages that he would lower his price to $6000, then he said that he might come down a little lower.

Today, his wife dropped me a line and said the motor is very negotionable.

I really wasn't looking for a 429, but I thought I'd take a stab at it to see where it would go. Now I believe that they are desperate and want to sell.

I already have a rebuilt 289 in the car, a rebuilt 351 4V on the stand and a 351 C on blocks.

Is it worth to get as an investment?

What would you do?

Thanks for any opinions!

6k is not worth it IMO. If you buy need to look at site to confirem SCJ. If it has vin number stamped, you can tell that at least block was correct. But for 6k should be a running engine IMO. You could get a 427 SideOiler for 1-2k more. I would say if not running would only be worth around 3-4k and only can be proven SCJ if pulled apart.

Here's what she said "It is not original to the car. Its a DIVE block

429 super cobra jet it is not rebuilt it was built in 1971 balanced and blue printed. There is a lot been done to that engine to write in a text. He would not sell it if we did not need the cash."

I really don't know much about the 429's, from what I just read that they are a dime a dozen, there was a lot of them (basic 429's) installed in larger cars and trucks. I questioned myself, why was a 1970 motor rebuilt in 1971?

If I go to look at it. What am I looking for to see if this is a CJ or SCJ. Are there any markings to seperate a 429 from a CJ / SCJ.

I'm not looking to install this in my 69, but as an investment purpose. If it does have any value, I wonder what I can flip for?

Just a note, the 428 are worth more b/c they are stronger engines (FE engine)with 4 bolt mains. I dont think that the 429s are near as collectible. It should be vin stamped w/o exception unless a service replacement. I think there are more collectible engines. Probably someone else can give more info on the worth of this engine. I think not worth the 6k. Big thing is, I beleive, you need to look at rods, crank and ect to make sure the numbers are right. And the 429 CJ were more plentyfull ford "385" engine.

429 SCJs commonly came in the Torino cobras & cyclone spoilers. I had one at one time, was going to drop it in the 72 Gran Torino Sport I had at the time. The SCJ heads had bigger ports than regular 429s. Can't recall if they were bigger than CJ heads or the same head but intake ports are about twice the size of 4V 351Cs. Traded the one I had for the 351C in my 69 back in 84. I'd check the Torino forums to get a better feel for engine details, rarity & value. I would love to have another one myself for another 72 GTS.

I think I put the cart before the horse on this one. I really wasn't shopping for a 429 and I really don't know much about them. The lure of it drawn my closer. It's almost like a gambling habit.

He got back to me several times today, A few pics below. Obviously it's showing it's age, so I'm very skeptical about a 42 year old rebuild that was balanced and blue printed????????

I've asked for more pics showing casting numbers. but it may be hard since it's still in a 1970 Torino J code car. He did show the Intake casting number which I found on Mustangtek (70/71 Torino 429 SCJ). Then again anyone could of exchanged intakes within the past 42 years. I gotta know if I should pursue this one as an investment. So, let me know what you all think and how much I should spend. Thanks a ton!

3G53I53J65L95G65F9d523941cdb0d39d107a_zps6b639501.jpg

429Intake_zps2d973f53.jpg

429DIF_zps6bf47f10.jpg

If the motor runs, I'd pay $4-500 at most if it didn't smoke. If the motor didn't run, only $200.

It's a damn core in the condition it is in. You'd have to pay at leas $3500 to have the engine rebuilt. No way is it worth $6k.

Midlife- The rationale side of me agrees with you. For some reason I'm thinking there's got to be a market for this.

So far here' where it's at:

6k for just the 1971 SCJ 429 and 9K for the 1970 GT Torino J code w/ the 1971 SCJ motor.

I would like to pay 4-5k for the car & drivetrain.

Here's a picture of the car.

1970GTTorino_zpse2af0c1d.jpg

Am I crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

4-5k for the car sounds reasonable, anymore and I'd pass. With the intake it probably is an SCJ. An SCJ intake on a regular 429 is like putting a 351C 4V intake on 2V heads. Wouldn't know why someone would do that but stranger things have happened.

Thank you for your opinion.

I value everyones opinion since I have NO experience with Torinos. I haven't looked at it personally because I too feel it's way too high. If a few thousand lower I'd run over there. Anyway, from looking at the last picture, I wonder why the thermostat housing is off a low milage rebuilt motor?????

Walk away....If this were a Cobra then you may have something but with it being a GT don't bother.

First off you're not dealing with a complete car and parts that are missing are not cheap. For example if the car came with hideaway headlights, then you're looking at upwards of $2,500 just for the setup. Even if it had a standard GT grill and headlights that's still going to run in upwards of $800 just to source the parts.

Then there's the damage and rust repair you have to look at. Can almost guarantee that it needs floor pans. If any of the body panels are rusted out then you are looking on eBay for panels off of another car.

Then there's the interior which will cost you a small fortune. The dash pad alone for 70/71 Torinos is over $500, just to give you an idea. This car will nickle and dime you to death, and the return is just not there for a GT.

Then there is rebuilding the engine, FE engines are high dollar to rebuild. A 429 is going to hit you for probably close to $5k for a rebuild.

I just don't see anything more than a $2,000 car sitting there even with the engine. The owner is just over-valuing it because it has a 429 in it and it's not even the original engine.

This will be a money pit.

Thank you everyone for steering me in the right direction, I will pass. I guess the excitement of a 429 SCJ got to me.

I'm glad we are all looking out for each other on this forum, everyone is so willing to help.

Thanks again!

John

Walk away....If this were a Cobra then you may have something but with it being a GT don't bother.

First off you're not dealing with a complete car and parts that are missing are not cheap. For example if the car came with hideaway headlights, then you're looking at upwards of $2,500 just for the setup. Even if it had a standard GT grill and headlights that's still going to run in upwards of $800 just to source the parts.

Then there's the damage and rust repair you have to look at. Can almost guarantee that it needs floor pans. If any of the body panels are rusted out then you are looking on eBay for panels off of another car.

Then there's the interior which will cost you a small fortune. The dash pad alone for 70/71 Torinos is over $500, just to give you an idea. This car will nickle and dime you to death, and the return is just not there for a GT.

Then there is rebuilding the engine, FE engines are high dollar to rebuild. A 429 is going to hit you for probably close to $5k for a rebuild.

I just don't see anything more than a $2,000 car sitting there even with the engine. The owner is just over-valuing it because it has a 429 in it and it's not even the original engine.

This will be a money pit.

You are right on the money. I love Torinos almost as much as Mustangs. Unfortunately they don't sell for nearly what Mustangs sell for. No one reproduces parts for them. And there is not that many Torinos around. I had a 1968 GT fastback Torino with a factory 4 speed and a console. It was in decent driver shape. I couldn't give it away. I sold it for a fraction of what a similarly equipped Mustang would go for. The only thing that would be worth anything would be the 429SCJ. And that's only if the motor had all it's SCJ parts and was rebuildable.