Sign in to follow this  
BurnRubberNotYourSoul

coyote 5.0 into a 69 mach 1?

All right so heres the deal. Ive got a 69 that is currently a drag car but i dont want it to be a drag car anymore. I am planning on turning it into a restomod/pro touring style car. Something more fun to play with. I have been planning on hopping up a 390 to put in it but now im thinking the coyote considering its success and stock power. My question is how hard will it be to install? Ive already got cut shock towers for my stroked 460. If a 460 will fit will it be wide enough for the 5.0? How hard will it be to fab up I crossmember to mount the motor? I dont have any mounting sytem now I have a solid motor plate up front. Any advice?

I believe the new coyote is actually a couple inches wider than a 460. I also haven't heard if there are headers for them out yet. From what I read when I was looking at doing a 4.6 swap is that you pretty much have to redo the whole front end for clearance such as running a r&p, notched shock towers. Coilovers, etc..... I guess it just depends on how far down the rabbit hole you are willing to go. Myself I know it will he seen as sacrilige but my car was just a 2 bbl 302 coupe, and the idea has crossed my mind on weather an ls and a 4l70e would fit....... Gobs of power for cheap and they are still fairly narrow......

I believe the new coyote is actually a couple inches wider than a 460. I also haven't heard if there are headers for them out yet. From what I read when I was looking at doing a 4.6 swap is that you pretty much have to redo the whole front end for clearance such as running a r&p, notched shock towers. Coilovers, etc..... I guess it just depends on how far down the rabbit hole you are willing to go. Myself I know it will he seen as sacrilige but my car was just a 2 bbl 302 coupe, and the idea has crossed my mind on weather an ls and a 4l70e would fit....... Gobs of power for cheap and they are still fairly narrow......

Ive got a few inches on each side of the valve covers so I might be able to squeeze it in.

And ps. Just fyi I disowned a friend for putting an ls in a 94 gt. Please dont do it to a 69. You will be hated by so many.

ive got a few inches on each side of the valve covers so i might be able to squeeze it in.

And ps. Just fyi i disowned a friend for putting an ls in a 94 gt. Please dont do it to a 69. You will be hated by so many.

+ 1

The coyote is about the same width as a 4 valve 4.6. Im planning to install a mod in my coupe. I installed a rod & custom mustang2 suspension to make room for the engine. I have the engine and trans from a 2003 cobra but I'm on the fence on whether to sell it and go coyote, or use it. Dougs makes coyote swap headers for the 69-70 mustang. They might fit older mustangs but I know for sure they will work on ours because I looked into it. The 4.6 is about 28" wide at the widest point. The 5.4 gt500 engine is about 30". Both of those will fit if you cut the towers so the coyote will too.

the new hot rod mag has an article that talks about coyote swaps in older fords. I think they have the dimensions for all the ford blocks for comparison.

edit: x2 on the ls in a stang! please no...

Gateway Classic Mustang did exactly what you are wanting to do. They worked with AutoTrader Magazine to build this 69 Mustang. As I understand it, they did not use an R&P front suspension, but their own coil-over setup. They also got a front sump oil pan (I think a Canton) to make it work.

Here's the

of the Hot Rod TV episode describing the build. Overall, it was a well done car.

Chuck

The coyote is about the same width as a 4 valve 4.6. Im planning to install a mod in my coupe. I installed a rod & custom mustang2 suspension to make room for the engine. I have the engine and trans from a 2003 cobra but I'm on the fence on whether to sell it and go coyote, or use it. Dougs makes coyote swap headers for the 69-70 mustang. They might fit older mustangs but I know for sure they will work on ours because I looked into it. The 4.6 is about 28" wide at the widest point. The 5.4 gt500 engine is about 30". Both of those will fit if you cut the towers so the coyote will too.

I'd go with the Cobra engine. Stock, it really produces close to the new Coyote's 420 HP. With a pulley change, it should do better. I would think the Doug's headers would also fit the Cobra engine, but on that I'm not sure.

Chuck

Ya i look at ride safely a lot. Ive actually had my eye on the one with the manual because i am only putting a manual in it. But anyways my main concern is if the 5.0 will fit in the way I have my towers cut now. If someone with experience could take a look at my pics to see the room I have around my 460 and give me an opinion. Because I really dont want to buy a several thousand dollar front end suspension. Ill just fab up a crossmember when I get the motor but my towers are cut about as much as I can. I do have coilovers.

You'll need a strut style suspension that eliminates the upper control arm if you want to keep the towers. The space required to fit the modular is where the upper control arm bolts to the tower. That is the widest part of the engine.

You'll need a strut style suspension that eliminates the upper control arm if you want to keep the towers. The space required to fit the modular is where the upper control arm bolts to the tower. That is the widest part of the engine.

Thats what I was afraid of. Ive got it cut back so far that I actually have holes for the sides of the uca to stick through. I think im just going to have to get the motor first and go from there.

Chuck, I had the Shelby drop before cutting the towers out. You'll still run into the same issue. The upper control arm would have to dropped close to the frame rail for it to clear. Remember that there is less space between the towers the lower you go. Iirc, the distance between the tops of the towers is about 29-30". You lose at least 2" as you get closer to the upper control arm.