Sign in to follow this  
TonyV8

Please help identify the Calipers fitted to my 69 mustang

Hi,

My 69 Mustang Mach 1 is fitted with non standard calipers but I have no idea what they are off. They are obviously wrong as part of the piston is exposed above the brake pad wihch just cannot be right. I 'm wondering if the spindles are non standard as well?

The car does stop despite this set-up!

4ae24043-f4cb-4936-b141-69ee3304233a_zpse06b2454.jpg

DSC00052_zpsd3009c49.jpg

No clue on the caliper. My 69 disc spindles do not have that indentation V groove that your's does on the upper outer portion. I'd think there would be part numbers on both the spindle and caliper somewhere.

Bob

Hi, Thanks for the responses..this is great!!

The last owner did the changes several year ago when he restored the car and could not remember. I've found a few things that are not quite right.

Buening - Thanks for the pictues they confirm they are Granada Calipers and I notice your shows the piston partially exposed as well, so presume this is normal but seems a little wierd.

Does this mean the spindles could be different as well?

I was thinking of putting a Willwood front brake conversion ( 65-69 Ford Mustang Dynalite 12'' front disc conversion) on the car but concerned it may not fit.

The brakes and fuel lines are copper nickel which is harder and more corrosion resistant than steel.

Edited by TonyV8

i would say its a late 70s ford caliper not sure what application,does the last owner not know as they look fairly new

Hi Javed,

Nice to see you on here!!

Beginning to wish I'd bought your '69 Blue Mach 1. hindsight and knowing what I do now, but we all have to start somewhere.

I am learning everything is expensive what with the exch rate and shipping plus taxes.

Hi, Thanks for the responses..this is great!!

The last owner did the changes several year ago when he restored the car and could not remember. I've found a few things that are not quite right.

Buening - Thanks for the pictues they confirm they are Granada Calipers and I notice your shows the piston partially exposed as well, so presume this is normal but seems a little wierd.

Does this mean the spindles could be different as well?

I was thinking of putting a Willwood front brake conversion ( 65-69 Ford Mustang Dynalite 12'' front disc conversion) on the car but concerned it may not fit.

The brakes and fuel lines are copper nickel which is harder and more corrosion resitant than steel.

to put wilwoods on you will have to change the spindle to a mustang spindle a drum brake spindle works on a wilwood conversion.

Hi Javed,

Nice to see you on here!!

Beginning to wish I'd bought your '69 Blue Mach 1. hindsight and knowing what I do now, but we all have to start somewhere.

I am learning everything is expensive what with the exch rate and shipping plus taxes.

Hi Tony yeah i get about here is a pic of a car im just finishing off with standard disc brakes for a 69

100_3076_zps236cf2de.jpg

to put wilwoods on you will have to change the spindle to a mustang spindle a drum brake spindle works on a wilwood conversion.

Assuming you have the Granada spindle, you can use a Wilwood kit for a '70 to '73 Mustang with Disc brakes. The ID of the wheel bearings increased in '70 and are the same as the Granada. The only other difference is the diameter of the caliper bracket bolt in the upper neck of the spindle is larger on the Mustang than the Granada. If you buy the Wilwood kit for the disc brake spindle, you will need to drill this hole out to the correct size. I believe the Mustang used a 5/8" bolt whereas the Granada used a 9/16" bolt.