Sign in to follow this  
nhall80

Correct Seats?

What front seats is my car supposed to have? I've had my '69 GT for 17 years, and it's always had the highback seat (like the Mach I). Unlike the Mach I, it has a more standard upholstery...not the comfort weave. I'm not sure its what came in the car originally.

I need to reupholster soon, but can only find a Mach I comfort weave patterned upholstery in the highback seat. Should I go to a standard seat with a headrest? Is that original for a GT? Or would I get weird looks with Mach I upholstery in a GT car? Does anyone know where I can find upholstery for a highback seat that isn't Mach I comfort weave?

I know thats a ton of questions, but hoping for some helpful input.

U7_V.jpg

Is this the upolstery that is currently on your front seats?, if so that is from a 1970 Mustang. I put high back buckets in my 69 Coupe & recovered all the seats with 1970 upolstery so it would all match.

Mike.

Mike65: that is not my upholstery. I've looked everywhere and can't find the pattern that I have. It almost resembles a vertically stripped standard upholstery, but in a high back. I assume that a previous owner had them made.

I also have not found a 69 high back seat that isn't comfort weave. I don't want to give up the high back so I'll probably go with the mach upholstery. I'm just surprised that the GT didn't have the high back because that's all i've known.

thanks for the input.

Can you post a picture of your seat for us to see? Surely a previous owner could of had a set custom made prior to them offering a replacement or just becasue he got a good deal on custom but you could also have a non '69 high back seat of some kind, I'd just hate to see you order a set for a Mach and not have the right seat for them.

[ATTACH]13858[/ATTACH]

I apologize for the crappy picture...just what I could snap today in a dark garage. I know the red inserts are not original (my brother thought it'd be a good idea to repair them to match the body color...I hate them). Before they were redone in red, it had the same stitch pattern. I like it and would like to keep it, but can not find a set anywhere that matches.

Any ideas of what they would have originally belonged to would be great. Also, can I put the Mach I upholstery on my seats without replacing seat foam? Does the shape match closely enough? BTW: the back seat seems to match this vertical pattern, so if I go to something else, I'd have to change it all.

Hard to say for sure in disguise but does not look like a Mach seat to me, it goes up too straight from top to bottom. If anything it looks like a stock seat with the head rest removed and then some homemade extension added to the top to look like a high back. In fact the top part almost looks like it resused part of a stock non comforweave insert.

I don't think you will get to the bottom of it until you can remove the skin and see what lies underneath, I do not think you can use any Mustang seat cover and have it fit well though. If the seat is in good condition and you just hate the color then I suggest dieing the center black for now as a compromise.

At first glance, it looks like a 71-73 seat.

69 highback seats have the release lever located half way up the side. In 70, the release lever moved to the bottom of the seat back.

starting to make sense. my release lever is on the bottom outside corner of the seat back. and after some google image searching, i found a 72 Cougar that matches almost perfectly. Thanks for all the suggestions. question now is what to do with them. i may just take them to a local upholstery shop and keep the pattern...who's gonna know, right?

here's the seat that matches: http://www.mypowerblock.com/photo/1972-mercury-cougar-interior?context=latest#!/photo/1972-mercury-cougar-interior?context=latest

Edited by nhall80

I think you are going to pay more for having them done then buying a set and recover yourself now that you have it narrowed down, the only question to me is are 71-73 Mustang and Cougar the same seat and if no then which one do you really have. Otherwsie you could just buy any 71-71 cover you like and go with it and it's possibly a little cheaper for the Mustang one than the Cougar one if they are interchangeable.

How difficult is the reupholster job? An easy DIY? I've done virtually everything else on the car but have never touched interior stuff, so I get a little nervous when I think about hog rings and pulling it tight enough and seat foam and adhesive. Depending on the difficulty, I'll either do it myself with 71 upholstery or I might even try to find some original standard seats that are good to go.

Everyone seems to have a different experience, some will say it was tough and some easy but the right tools make the difference. I did my first upholstery job on my seats a while back and they were non Mustang so they were not an open back, I had to pull the back cover over the whole thing. My kit though was very complete with every last thing I needed down to razor blades and I found the job easy for the most part, the second seat I did in half the time without even looking at any directions again. There are many different tips available to make the job go smoother so if you do try it let us know and I'm sure you'll get more suggestions than you need.