Sign in to follow this  
Machspeed

70 Mach 1 Exhaust Tips

Thought I share this, if in fact, you are looking for some nice 70 exhaust tips. While my car is a 69 Mach, I much prefer the 70 tips over the 69. My car is somewhat of a resto mod so this is not much of an issue for me. Regardless, quality 70 exhaust tips run as much as $140. I found the following on ebay and received them the other day. I could not be more pleased with them, as they are an excellent copy of the originals and they are stainless steel. Moreover, I paid a mere $55 for them delivered. The ends are rolled like the originals and the finish is beautiful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LXP-Stainless-Pair-Mustang-Tips-1970-Mach-1-55200-/130799857063

Wow! That looks pretty darn close to the originals to me (and good). For years the closest looking you could find without paying the big bucks was the 1969 to 72 Chevelle SS 396 chrome tips. They were similar but not rolled. :blush:

Thanks for the info machspeed, I ordered a set and they came quickly and look really good. I have seen other tips with the spring shackle indentions for $250 plus. This was a great find! I bought my first mach 1 in 1978 and it already had this style of tip on it, I thought for years that maybe mach 1's had these while gt's had the quad tips. But everything says not. I still like these better. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info machspeed, I ordered a set and they came quickly and look really good. I have seen other tips with the spring shackle indentions for $250 plus. This was a great find! I bought my first mach 1 in 1978 and it already had this style of tip on it, I thought for years that maybe mach 1's had these while gt's had the quad tips. But everything says not. I still like these better. Thanks again!

+1 I agree I have to get a set of these for my 69 Coupe. I had the quad tips on a 68 GT Coupe, but I wanted something like the 70 Mach 1 tips for my Coupe, these are just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Mike.

Those do look awesome but from the position of the picture they look a little more rectangle than rectangle. From straight from the back again are they more rectangle shaped? Still a awesome cost for stainless-steel guidelines. . . . . . . .

I'm so tempted to get these based on the price! I paid quite a bit for a chrome repro set that are currently available from the mustang suppliers (higher priced when I bought them). After a year of being installed the chrome is pitted and looks like crap. My only hesitation is similar to David120, they look too rectangular instead of oval but I could be wrong. I'll take a look at the ones I have and try to snap a picture for comparison.

heres one of the new ones next to my OEM one. Yes, the width is about right but the side angle is a little less than OEM. Also hard to see from the pic but the opening in the original is almost a full 3/4" taller than the repo. I tried mildly widening the mouth of the repo but I probably wont fuss too much with it. I'll either use them (once I get the crushed one replaced) or get my originals rechromed.

Edited by miketyler

No problem. Work has been brutal for the last two weeks but I did get my tubing cutter for my stainless Pypes exhaust last week and hope to get everything cut and fit this week.

The stainless tips slide perfectly inside the Pypes 2.5" exhaust. I hope to clamp them in like the rest of the exhaust.

Edited by miketyler

I don't know if it was different for '70 than for '69 but I had always heard it wasn't done by a specific measurement at least in '69. As I recall you hang a plum line down from the inner edge of the bumper and that is how far the tip should stick out.

As for these tips, I think they look damn nice, even nicer so for the price. IMHO on a nice car with them being set so down low and the avearge persons eye level, you can't notice any shape discrepancy like you do at closer inspection, the key feature is if you can see a rolled lip or not as far as perception of correctness. For years the only other real offering looked like a kitty litter scoop, this is far better. Seeing the bent up one of Mikes though makes we wonder about the gauge of the metal used and if with a lobey exhaust will it have a bit of a bell ring sound to it or not.

Edited by Pakrat

I don't know if it was different for '70 than for '69 but I had always heard it wasn't done by a specific measurement at least in '69. As I recall you hang a plum line down from the inner edge of the bumper and that is how far the tip should stick out.

As for these tips, I think they look damn nice, even nicer so for the price. IMHO on a nice car with them being set so down low and the avearge persons eye level, you can't notice any shape discrepancy like you do at closer inspection, the key feature is if you can see a rolled lip or not as far as perception of correctness. For years the only other real offering looked like a kitty litter scoop, this is far better. Seeing the bent up one of Mikes though makes we wonder about the gauge of the metal used and if with a lobey exhaust will it have a bit of a bell ring sound to it or not.

This is exactly why I purchased them...that and the fact that they are stainless. I don't believe the originals were stainless, though they may not need be, as the chrome they did in those days was high quality. For the price, I don't know that the can be beat.

The originals were chromed. I bought a pair of the reproduction chrome ones, and the chrome lasted all of about 9 months before it started pitting. Worst $200+ I've ever spent.