Sign in to follow this  
JTG

Question about buying parts

So far the only replacement parts I've purchased for the car are the DS torque box, toe board and floor pan. I've been pricing out my next few purchases and have some questions for the guys that have already been down this road.

1. Are Dynacorn parts worth the extra money? I need to replace the rear quarter skins, outer wheelhouses, battery tray and maybe some other parts. The difference between generic and Dynacorn will add up.

2. Who else sells Dynacorn parts beside CJ? They are the only ones I saw that had the quarter skins and wheelhouses.

3. Can you save money buying new parts at a swap meet? I have a smaller event in Englishtown NJ at the end of the month and I can take the drive to Carlisle PA if it's worth it. A buddy told me years ago he would place an order with a vendor and pick it up at the swap meet getting the swap meet price and save on shipping.

I'm not interested in concours correct but I am doing a full restoration so I want to do it right.

I have used quite a few Dynacorn parts. While they are not all totally perfect and require a little work, they are pretty good if you are okay with doing a little work to make the fit. I haven't had any major problems.

As far as buying at a swap meet, it definitely will save you shipping costs and some parts are just plain cheaper at the meets for some reason. I think I paid less than $300 for my full floor pan.

Mustangs Unlimited and NPD also sell Dynacorn parts. They may not be advertised as such. It's a good idea to call and talk to a rep. Ask who makes the part and for the best quality part available. IMO, yes, it's worth it to pay extra for a higher quality part. True, it's adds to the cost of the project. But I think it's money well spent.

I've used some Dynacorn parts and I was happy with them for the most part. I also used a few parts from a Canadian company called Spectra Premium. I was more impressed with their parts than Dynacorn parts. I installed two long floor pans made by Spectra Premium. The metal is a heavier gauge than the Dynacorn floor pans. Also, they match the original 69/70 floor pans almost exactly. Unlike other pans, the ribbing in the pans runs in the correct direction. Other floor pans I've seen are the opposite, like earlier Mustang pans. The Spectra Premium pans do have an extra hole in front of the seat pan which the original pans did not have. What I like about MU is everything I order is in stock. On only one occasion was something back-ordered and they told ahead of time. It took only a couple of extra days to get. (CJ Pony Parts is notorious for taking your order and not telling you everyting is on back-order. They might be a little cheaper on price, but I don't like dealing with back-ordered parts all the time.)

Oh yeah, if you can find what you need at a swap meet, go for it. You can inspect the part before you buy it. You also have to be sure it's the right part. If it doesn't fit, you probably can't return it.

Thus far, I've ordered all my parts from Mustangs Unlimited and I've been very happy with them. I call their Atlanta number and order my parts over the phone. My order is always waiting on my porch within three days. MU has a Buyer's Club. You pay $25.00 to join and then get a 5% discount on everything you order for one year. With any Mustang project, this will quickly pay for itself and then some. On only one occasion was a part on back-order and they told me up front. CJ Pony Parts is notorious for taking your order and not telling you everything is on back-order. CJ Pony may be a little cheaper on parts, but I don't like dealing with back-orders all the time.

Edited by Klutch

If I recall, Laurel Mountain Mustang also sells Dynacorn. I've been too cheap to buy Dynacorn and have regretted it severely!!

If you can get them to take it to the show/swap meet and not have to pay shipping, then it is well worth it! Many body panels are large and require extra freight!

Chuck

Try this link.

http://www.dynacorn.com/index.html

Click on dealers, and you might be surprised who sells them in your area. I have 2 shops withing 20 miles from me that sell the Dynacorn brand. Ya, you will have to order them, but like the one shop told me, that on the large stuff, that goes truck freight, if he can get 5000.00 dollars of parts ordered, its free shipping. I might add that was a total order, not just from one customer, so parts add up fast to make the 5000.00. They also were honoring CJ's prices, and some were cheaper than CJ's. CJ's has free shipping on almost all their parts, except the large ones. I was looking at some door shells a couple of months ago, and those were free shipping. Most places are going to charge you shipping, and some charge sales tax, but so far CJ's have not gone that route. I suppose that all could change tho.

JT,

I have used dynacorn body parts on my 69 Coupe & I like the fit for the most part they are worth the extra money. I usually order large parts from CJ because they do not charge for shipping. When you get to the point of doing the skins they require a little rebending where the quarter meets the rocker in front of the rear wheel because they arew a little long there. Shoot me a pm & if you like I will show you what I had to do to get mine to line up with all the body lines.

Mike.

I am almost complete on my car and have found the Dyn doors are not made exactly as the originals. I only found this out when I went to put the windows in and went through hell trying to get the windows adjusted. "exact tooling" ha!:double fuck: . 20/20.I should have paid the extra $ to salvage the originals for sure.