Sign in to follow this  
RogerC

Issue with new taillight panel

So I removed the old taillight panel. Need to clean up the flanges now.

IMG_8908.jpg

IMG_8907.jpg

New taillight panel had a small dent on the left end of the trunk flange. Tapped it back into shape. Straightened bottom flange in one spot also. Have an issue with the bottom of the left side taillight opening. The edge isn't completely rolled on all 3 openings. L outboard looks like it was ground to shape. Hard to see in the pic, camera wanted to focus elsewhere. Any ideas how to go about fixing them?

IMG_8909.jpg

Edited by RacerX

My question is have you tried the tail light lenses in the holes yet? If so, is there any issue with their fit? If not, you probably won't see the issue you are worried about. I had (have) an issue with the fit of my tail light panel. The cheap one I bought is more curved than the quarter panel extensions, so there is a gap between the two. On both sides. You may want to check that also.

Chuck

i don't understand the issue.

The issue is the inconsistent and erratic edge around each lens opening. I think I'll just dress them up with a file and see how it looks. Didn't get the chance to work on it yesterday, was doing some maintenance on the marching band trailer (high school, 48' OTR). Probably won't get to it till next Saturday.

Thanks Mike65, Chuck, I hadn't thought to check my end cap fit yet, I got this panel from Mr. Mustang, it is of Taiwan origin. Don't think they'd take it back in exchange for another.

I've welded in 2x3 frame rails from S&W Racing. I modified them to be more conducive for a 3 link and added a 2x3 end tube to tie the qtrs together along with fabricated trunk drop-offs with cabin air exhaust ducting attached. More pics of the work on photobucket.