Sign in to follow this  
49cad

Another Deffective switch from Rim blow buddy

Has anybody bought a rim blow switch from this company that works?

http://www.therimblowbuddy.com/product.php?id_product=313

They installed the first one with the steering wheel restoration and the contacts where bad so the horn blew constantly when connected.

The second one they sent me has the opposite problem, I can't get it to blow unless I find one or two spots and squeeze it with a HUGE amount of pressure! Thats only in a couple spots on the wheel.

I was told they changed their rubber but it appears they do not do enough

quality checking before they ship them out!

This is 40 year old FORD technology, why would it be so hard to match that?

the rim blow buddy installed a new one in mine about a year or so ago and it hasn't had any issues (yet...).

I found out that they used to install the ones from Dennis Carpenter but are making their own now.

I talked to Don Rush from West Coast classic cougar and he said that they tried to get him to sell theirs, but he refused because of their quality problems.

He only sells the Dennis Carpenter ones. He said they take more time to install, but they actually work.

Are the rim blow folks going cheap on us?

I will let you know how good the customer service is from the rim blow buddy if I can get a hold of the owner for a refund.

They must know they have a quality problem if they exchanged the first one I had after I returned it and they tested it!

. . . I can't get it to blow unless I find one or two spots and squeeze it with a HUGE amount of pressure! Thats only in a couple spots on the wheel.

Sounds a lot like my Rimblow Buddy piece. It's a little better than that, but not much. I had a lot of hassle with my switch and decided to live with what I got - which was my third one.

Regards,

Tony

I installed a new switch on mine but I am not sure what manufacturer it was. It took a rediculous ammount of pressure to blow so I turned it around and put it in backwards. Not the best way but now it functions. But IMHO they are a piece of crap and like most of the repro stuff for these cars should never be sold for any ammount of money.

sorry about your luck. when did you guys get your switches? have they always been bad or did they slowly go bad? has everyone installed their own switches?

The first one came with a restored steering wheel that was stuck on (horn blowing constant) when the wheel was installed. IIRC the seller supplied a replacement switch which I buggered up when installing it. It didn’t help that the wheel restorer did a poor job in clearing the channel to the correct width for the replacement switch to sit in. As you all know, the switches are quite fragile. The third was from Rimblow. It seems to have gotten better over time, i.e. works over a longer length of the switch with less pressure.

Cheers,

Tony

The first one came with a restored steering wheel that was stuck on (horn blowing constant) when the wheel was installed. IIRC the seller supplied a replacement switch which I buggered up when installing it. It didn’t help that the wheel restorer did a poor job in clearing the channel to the correct width for the replacement switch to sit in. As you all know, the switches are quite fragile. The third was from Rimblow. It seems to have gotten better over time, i.e. works over a longer length of the switch with less pressure.

Cheers,

Tony

so only the last switch was from Rimblow Buddy that you know of?

Speaking of rimblow steering wheel restoration... has anyone tried the repro woodgrain wheels yet?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/steering-wheel-wood-grain-rim-blow-1969/p/STW9/

Just wondering how they stack up against a restored wheel.

edited to add: Kentucky Mustang has them for about $80 less...

http://stores.kentuckymustang.com/-strse-22571/1969-Mustang-Rim-Blow/Detail.bok

Edited by Black_69_FB

sorry about your luck. when did you guys get your switches? have they always been bad or did they slowly go bad? has everyone installed their own switches?

First was installed by them. It was bad soon as I installed the steering wheel.

They sent a replacement and it tested bad before I installed it.

Everybody should test their new switch for continuity before intallation.

They don't tell you this in their directions but it was common sense to me.

I couldn't get the switch to make contact except for one spot on the whole length of the switch.

I found out that rim blow buddy gets these cheap switches from a place in Australia. If you call around to the different wheel restoration places,

you will get an idea of were to buy a switch. Ben Snobar knows all about these defective switches from Australia. http://www.shakerhood.com/

Call him if you need a good switch.

Rim blow buddy did a terrible job of restoring my wheel too.

If you want, I can post a picture of the crap wheel they returned to me.

that really sucks. i must have gotten their services on a good month. mine was in horrible condition when i sent it to them. i thought mine was good, but if they aren't doing the same work as what they did a year or two ago, then people need to know. post up pics of the issues.

the RBB did an awesome job on my wheel the first time around. It got chipped by my class ring and they graciously fixed it for free. The second time around, the job on the wheel was a far cry from the first time. I would not go back to him again.

that really sucks. i must have gotten their services on a good month. mine was in horrible condition when i sent it to them. i thought mine was good, but if they aren't doing the same work as what they did a year or two ago, then people need to know. post up pics of the issues.

OK,

Here are the pictures of my Mach 1 steering wheel they restored.

When I sent these pictures to them, they said that is typical of their work!

Still waiting to hear from Pam- the owner- about how they test the rib blow switches they send out.

Edited by 49cad

OK,

Still waiting to hear from Pam- the owner- about how they test the rib blow switches they send out.

that almost looks like they didn't paint the entire rim. very strange. mine doesn't look like that.

OK,

that is a half-assed job if I ever saw one. I say send it back for a do over. If they say no, then tell them you will post pics of their finished job at every mustang web board on earth. I know that RBB is very conscious of its image. I saw one guy who bitched on a board once and Nate joined the board and asked why the guy didn't come to him first as they stand behind their work and want customers to be happy. Even though the warranty was up, Nate said to send the wheel back for a do-over. They original poster later posted a follow up saying they did a great job and was sorry for bad-mouthing them.

I'm the same as Buckeye, I just got my wheel back a few months back and they did a terrific job and my wheel was in poor condition to start. They even took progress pic's for me and gave great service considering I'm also out of country. I do know the fellow who does most of the grain work is not well all the time so who knows. They are even using my wheel for the main part of their web site. I'm sure Pam will take care of things as she seems quite proud of her company. JMO

I'm the same as Buckeye, I just got my wheel back a few months back and they did a terrific job and my wheel was in poor condition to start. They even took progress pic's for me and gave great service considering I'm also out of country. I do know the fellow who does most of the grain work is not well all the time so who knows. They are even using my wheel for the main part of their web site. I'm sure Pam will take care of things as she seems quite proud of her company. JMO

That way people would know what they would get.

Those pictures should be representative of all the wheels that go out the door. Obviously it is not.

It has been two weeks and I have still not heard from Pam or Dave the owners.

I sent this Nate guy the pictures of my messed up wheel when I recieved it.

Maybe the pictures were never seen by Pam.

Hopefully Nate will do the right thing and forward the pictures to Pam this time!

"Hopefully Nate will do the right thing and forward the pictures to Pam this time!"

??? I'd sent ALL correspondence to the owners. At least they'll know the problem exists. What they do with it after that is up to them.